Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Itteringham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

ITTERINGHAM, a pleasant village, 4 miles N.W. of Aylsham, is in Aylsham union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, South Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, Aylsham polling district of North Norfolk, Ingworth rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 319 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1442 acres, and has a rateable value of £1841. The parish belongs to the Earl of Orford and the Marquis of Lothian, the former being lord of Itteringham and the latter of Bintry manor.

The CHURCH (Virgin Mary) comprises nave, chancel, south aisle or chapel, and tower with one bell. It was restored and reseated in 1859. The east window [and] a window in the south aisle are filled with stained glass; the latter as a memorial of the late Rev. Robert Walpole, who built a School here in 1846.

The Earl of Orford is also patron of the rectory, which was valued in the King's Book at £5 17s. 1d., and is now consolidated with that of Mannington, in the incumbency of the Rev. Peter James Elwin, who has a good residence here. The glebe is 24 acres, and the tithes of the two parishes were commuted in 1841 for £346 5s.

The Primitive Methodists and the Wesleyans have each a chapel here. The Poor's land, 2 acres, let for 12s. a year, was purchased in 1699 with £8, given by Lady Potts, and £12 subscribed by the parish. The School was enlarged in 1873 to meet Government requirements.

POST OFFICE at Henry Bird's. Letters are received at 8.20 a.m., and despatched at 3.15 p.m., viâ Norwich. Aylsham is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.

	Bell     Jeremiah          cattle dealer and frmr
	Berwick  William           farmer
	Bird     Henry             grocer, draper and postmaster
	Body     Mrs               schoolmistress
	Brown    James             farmer
	Cook     Benjamin          miller and merchant;
	                             and Blickling and Aylsham
	Eke      James             farm bailiff
	Elwin    Rev. Peter James  rector
	Fowler   Robert            farmer and carpenter
	Hall     Henry             blacksmith
	Ives     Robert            farmer; and Calthorpe
	Lake     James             farmer
	Slipper  Edwd.             whlwrt. & parish clerk
	Smith    Frederic          farmer, Manor house
	Weight   Charles           vict. Walpole Arms

See also the Itteringham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
December 2007