ITTERINGHAM, a pleasant village, 4 miles N.W. of Aylsham, has in its parish 357 souls, and 1442 acres of land, belonging to the Earl of Orford, and the Dowager Lady Suffield. The former is patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5.17s.1d., and consolidated with that of Mannington, and the incumbency of the Rev. Robt. Walpole, of London. The glebe is 28 acres, and the tithes of the two parishes were commuted in 1841 for £346.5s.
The CHURCH (Virgin Mary,) has a tower, and one bell, and on its south side is the ivy-mantled ruin of a small chapel.
Two acres of land, mostly a gravel pit, was purchased in 1699, with £8 given to the poor by Lady Potts, and £12 subscribed by the parish.
Adams Wm. shopkeeper Alexander Benj. tailor Brett Natl. wheelwright Brown James tanner Burgis Richd. shopkeeper Cook Geo. farmer Copeman Fredk. corn miller Dewing Thos. tailor Fowell Edw. Wm. shoemaker Garnham Chas. farmer Gildert Rev. Geo. C., B.A. curate Godfrey Wm. land agent Hall Henry blacksmith Lee Robt. rat catcher Overton Wm. shoemaker Slipper Saml. wheelwright Smith Wm. Walpole Arms Youngs Robert manager.
Copyright © Pat Newby.