IRMINGLAND, or Ermingland, is a small parish on the Bure, 5 miles N.W. by W. of Aylsham, in Aylsham union, South Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, Aylsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Aylsham polling district of North Norfolk, Ingworth rural deanery and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 5 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 704 acres of land; the rateable value is £798.
The Earl of Orford owns the Hall and most of the soil, but J.S. Bolton, Esq., has an estate here of 180 acres. The Hall was frequently visited for short periods by Oliver Cromwell when in the occupation of General Fleetwood, his son-in-law, who built and endowed an Independent chapel at Oulton, about a mile distant.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) was taken down and its site ploughed up many years ago, when the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5, was consolidated with Heydon. The tithes were commuted in 1842 for £170 5s. per annum.
POST from Norwich, via Aylsham.
Bishop William Purdy farmer, Irmingland hall Rice George Robert farmer, Elmersdale
Copyright © Pat Newby.