IRMINGLAND, or Ermingland, a small parish on the Bure, 5 miles N.W. by W. of Aylsham, has only 15 inhabitants and 714A. of land, in two farms, occupied by Richard Clarke and Thomas Freeman Eglington. The former occupies Irmingland Hall, which belongs to S. Pitman, Esq., and was formerly a seat of the Smiths, and for a short time the residence of Oliver Cromwell. The other farm, called Elmundale, belongs to the Earl of Orford.
The Church (St. Andrew) was taken down, and its site ploughed up many years ago, when the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5, was consolidated with Heydon. The tithes were commuted in 1842 for £170. 5s. per annum.
POST from Norwich, via Aylsham.
Copyright © Pat Newby.