Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Irmingland

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]

IRMINGLAND, or Ermingland, a small parish on the Bure, 5 miles N.W. by W. of Aylsham, has only 13 souls, and 704A. of land, in two farms, occupied by Geo. Cross and Robert Garnham. The former occupies Irmingland Hall, which belongs to the Rev. S. Pitman, and was formerly a seat of the Smiths, and for a short time the residence of Oliver Cromwell. The other farm, called Elmundale, belongs to the Earl of Orford.

The Church (St. Andrew,) was taken down, and the site ploughed up many years ago, when the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5, was consolidated with Heydon.


See also the Irmingland parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
March 1999