INTWOOD, 3½ miles S.W. by S. of Norwich, and 9½ E. of Hingham, is a parish in Henstead union, Humbleyard hundred and rural deanery, Swainsthorpe petty sessional division, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Norfolk archdeaconry and Norwich polling district of South Norfolk. It had 35 inhabitants in 1881, extends over 530 acres of land, and has a rateable value of £1439. All the parish is the property of Clement William Unthank, Esq., of Intwood Hall, which was built in a handsome style of architecture about the year 1814. Here it was that Sir Thomas Gresham entertained the Earl of Warwick (afterwards the Duke of Northumberland) in his march against the rebel Kett in 1549.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is a stone fabric, comprising nave, chancel, north and south porches, and tower. The latter is round at the base and octagonal above, and contains one bell. The building was beautifully restored in the Perpendicular style in 1852, by Hudson Gurney, Esq., and the late J.S. Muskett, Esq., at a cost of £1500. The pulpit, reading-desk, gallery, organ-case, open benches, and other fittings are all of oak, beautifully carved, and of uniform design. In the chancel are handsome marble tablets to the memory of the late J.S. Muskett, Esq., and the wife of H. Gurney, Esq.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5, and now at £374, with that of Keswick annexed to it, is in the patronage of Clement W. Unthank, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. E. Dixon, who is non-resident. The Rev. Wm. Barlee, M.A., is the curate-in-charge, and occupies the rectory house, which is situated in the parish of Cringleford. Here are 12A. 1R. 31P. of glebe, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £146.
WALKING POST. Letters via Norwich. Mulbarton is the nearest Money Order Office.
Unthank Clement William, Intwood hall & 18 Queensgate gardens Esq., J.P., D.L. South Kensington, London Page William steward to C.W. Unthank, Esq. Carman Mark parish clerk; h East Carlton
Copyright © Pat Newby.