Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Ingworth

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

INGWORTH, which gives name to a rural deanery, is a village and parish, in the vale of the Bure, 2 miles N. of Aylsham, in Aylsham union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, South Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, Aylsham polling district of North Norfolk, and Norwich archdeaconry. It has a rateable value of £971, and had 144 inhabitants in 1881, living on 512 acres. The soil belongs to several owners. Part of the parish is a member of Blickling Manor, and the rest is in the manor of Banningham.

The CHURCH (St. Lawrence) appears to be of the age of William Rufus, and had a round tower, which fell down in 1822. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5, in the patronage of W.F. Wyndham, Esq.'s representatives, and in the incumbency of the Rev. George Fish, of Erpingham. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £170 per annum, and the glebe is 13A. 2R. The rector has also 21s. a year from the water-mill.

The poor have a yearly rent-charge of 3s. 4d., left by Ellen Gobart, about 1676.

POST OFFICE at Mrs. Eliza Mile's. Letters arrive at 6.15 a.m., and depart at 5 p.m., via Norwich. Aylsham is the nearest Money Order Office.

	Asker     George Henry   banker's clerk
	Brett     William        bootmaker
	Burrell   John           mole catcher
	Harman    Miss Harriett  farmer
	Hart      Hy. Gardner    miller and farmer
	Miles     Mrs Eliza      postmistress
	Mullen    Frederick      farmer
	Neeve     Jacob          shopkeeper
	Newstead  Benjamin Robt. shopkeeper
	Newstead  Robert         parish clerk
	Watts     George         farmer
CARRIERS pass through to Norwich on Saturday.
See also the Ingworth parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
March 2002