Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Ingworth

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]

INGWORTH, which gives name to the Deanery of this Hundred, is a small village and parish, in the vale of the Bure, 2 miles N. of Aylsham, containing 152 souls, and 499A. 1R. 19P. of land, belonging to several owners; but part of it is a member of Blickling manor, and the rest is in the manor of Banningham.

The Church (St. Lawrence,) appears to be of the age of Wm. Rufus, and had a round tower which fell down in 1822. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5, in the patronage of W.H. Windham, Esq., and the incumbency of the Rev. Geo. Fish, of Erpingham. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £166 per annum; and the glebe is 13A. 2R. The rector has also 21s. a year from the water-mill.

The poor have a yearly rent-charge of 3s. 4d., left by Ellen Gobart, about 1776.

DIRECTORY:

	Burrell  Joseph   farmer
	Cawston  Robert   gent.
	Goulder  Robert   farmer
	Harmer   Wm.      bricklayer
	Newstead Benj.    shoemaker
	Randall  Wm.      farmer
	Turner   Robert   farmer
	Watson   Jas.     blacksmith
	Watts    Geo.     farmer
	Wilson   John     shoemaker
	Wright   John     farmer

See also the Ingworth parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
March 1999