Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Ingoldisthorpe

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Paul Beesley]

INGOLDISTHORPE, on the Hunstanton road, 10 miles N.N.E. of Lynn, is a small scattered village, seated in a picturesque vale, finely clothed with wood, and watered by a small rivulet, which flows westward across the salt marshes to the Wash, after forming a beautiful cascade at the new bridge, near Snettisham.

The parish contains 344 inhabitants, and 1,128 acres of land, mostly belonging to John Bellamy, Esq., of Wisbech, the lord of the manor, who has a large mansion here, now occupied by the Rev. Edward Bellamy, M.A.

On an eminence, commanding an extensive view of the ocean and the adjacent country, is Mount Amelia, the delightful seat of Captain John Davy, R.N., built by John Davy, Esq., in 1745.

In the reign of King John, John Chamberlain sued Henry de Patesle and Thomas de Ingoldesthorpe, for the murder of his brother Drugo, and both being convicted, the former was banished to Jerusalem for seven years to serve God for the soul of Drugo, and the latter was to find a priest for the same purpose, and to pay Drugo's parents the sum of forty marks.

The CHURCH (St. Michael,) is a large building with a square tower and three bells, and opposite the south porch stands an ancient cross. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12, and in 1831 at £355, has 45 acres of glebe. Certain Trustees are patrons, and the Rev. Abm. Hepworth, LL.B., is the incumbent.

In the north aisle lies interred Richard Gardiner, Esq., commonly called "Dick Merry Fellow," who died after a short residence at Mount Amelia, in 1781. He was a busy partizan at elections, and left behind him a great variety of jeu d'esprit, songs, and inscriptions, full of wit and humour.

The tithes were commuted in 1839, for £300 16s. 9d. per annum. The sum of £10 left to the church and poor by Agnes Bigge, was laid out in the purchase of about 3A. of land, now let for £4 10s., most of which is given to the poor.

	Bellamy   Rev Edward, M.A.  vicar of Dersingham, Hall
	Bocking   Mary              shopkeeper
	Davy      Capt. John, R.N.  Mount Amelia
	Fayers    Thomas            cooper
	Flight    Isaac             victualler, Ship
	Hepworth  Rev. Abm., LL.B.  Rectory
	Jordan    John              blacksmith & beer hs.
	Kenney    G.                shoemaker
	Lewin     William           butcher
	Potter    John              gardener
	Smithbone Edward            shopkeeper
	Townshend Jeremiah          bricklayer
	Vergirson James             carpenter
	Webbin    William           blacksmith

	   FARMERS

	Davies    Mrs.
	Dungar    Thomas
	Hotching  Wm.
	Petrie    Archbd.
	Santy     Phoebe

See also the Ingoldisthorpe parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
August 1999