INGHAM is a scattered village, 1¼ mile E. of Stalham, 9 miles S.E. by E. of North Walsham, and 16 miles N.E. by N. of Norwich, and gives name to a parish in Smallburgh union, Happing hundred, Happing and Tunstead petty sessional division, North Walsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Stalham polling district of North Norfolk, Happing division of Waxham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
In 1881 the parish contained 460 inhabitants, and comprised 1503 acres of land, two-thirds of which are arable. The rateable value is £2565, and the gross estimated rental £2943. A large stock fair is held here on Trinity Monday. Mrs G. Coustos is lady of the manor, which was successively held by the Inghams, Stapletons, Calthorpes, and Johnsons. A. Borrett, Esq., resides at Ingham Hall, and the other principal landowners are Mrs. R. Ives, Messrs. W. Wenn, C. Harvey, and G.W. Whittleton.
The CHURCH (Holy Trinity) is a large and handsome building of flint and stone, erected during that transition period when the Decorated was fast merging into the Perpendicular style of architecture. It comprises nave with aisles, chancel, south porch with parvise, and square embattled tower, containing two bells, and ornamented by four crocketed pinnacles. The south porch is very large, and the parvise or chamber above it, was some years ago used as a schoolroom. The church was handsomely restored in 1876, by the present vicar, at a cost of £2200, collected by him for that purpose; at the same time the chancel was restored by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners at a cost of about £800.
Here are several large tombstones, which have been stripped of their brasses; and also some antique monuments, two of which have the effigies of Sir Oliver de Ingham and Roger le Blois, the former of whom rebuilt the church in 1360, and annexed to it the College, which he had founded here for a prior, a sacrist, and six canons of the Order of Trinity and St. Victor, for the redemption of captives from Turkey. This college adjoined the north side of the church, where some of the ruins still remain. Its revenues were valued at the Dissolution at £74 2s. 7d. The founder, Oliver de Ingham, was a valiant knight, and a great favourite of Edward II., who made him governor of several castles, seneschal of Gascoigne, and lord warden of the marches of Guienne, at which time he had raised a large army and recovered the country of Agnois.
Previous to its being made collegiate, the living was a rectory, but it is now a perpetual curacy. The Rev. N. Wilson is the incumbent. The appropriated tithes are about £450 per annum, out of which £250 only are allowed to the vicar by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, the remainder being diverted to other purposes, and having now passed into the hands of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. There are also 24A. of land situated at Wichampton [sic].
The Baptist Chapel is a handsome brick structure, with the minister's house adjoining, and cost about £1000. It has a good library, and the minister has an endowment of £8 10s. a year from 3A. 2R. of land.
There is a good National School, erected in 1865 by the late curate, the Rev. J. Lichtenstein.
The Poor's Land comprises 2A. given by one Durrant, and 1R. 13P. awarded at the enclosure, and is let for £5 5s. a year, which is distributed amongst poor widows. The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1812, is 17A. 2R. 28P., let for £24 15s., which is given in small sums to the poor, who have also the interest of £51 10s., of which £36 10s. arose from the sale of an old poor-house.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Lewis Myhill's. Letters from Norwich, viâ Stalham, arrive at 7 a.m., and depart 3.30 p.m. Stalham is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office, and Railway Station.
Ames Robert wheelright & farmer Bane John Pedder grocer & draper Beck George blacksmith Borrett Alfd. fmr. & owner, Old Hall Flowerday James farm bailiff Frost Thomas farmer Gladden George farmer, The Grove Gladden Robert G. farmer and miller Harvey Charles farmer and owner Kirby Barnabas parish clerk Kirby James watermill engineer Lack John vict. Swan Inn Myhill Lewis registrar of births, deaths and marriages for Ludham district, and relieving officer for Happing district, and post office Sharley Rev. Geo. curate of Hickling Smith Samuel farm bailiff Wenn Herbert farmer and owner, The Grange Wharton Miss - schoolmistress Whittleton George Walter farmer and owner; h Catfield Wilson Rev. Nathl. vicar, The Vicarage
Copyright © Pat Newby.