[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
ILLINGTON parish, 1 mile from Wretham Station, on the banks of a rivulet, and 5 miles W.N.W. of East Harling. It is in Wayland union, Shropham hundred, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Attleborough county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Harling polling district of South Norfolk, Rockland rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 84 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1100 acres, and has a rateable value of £1108. The representatives of R. Kellett Long, Esq., are lords of the manor and owners of the soil. The ancient British road, called Peddar's way, passes through this parish.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a small edifice, with a square tower, and an inscription to the memory of Sir John Churchman, Kt. It has three bells, and was thoroughly restored in 1847. A new roof to the nave was erected in 1881, and the reroofing of the chancel is in contemplation. The representatives of R. Kellett Long, Esq., are patrons of the rectory, which was valued in the King's Book at £6 19s. 2d., and is now in the incumbency of the Rev. Godfrey John Bird, who has a good residence, built in 1848, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £145, awarded in 1831.
POST from Thetford.
Bale Robert Edmund farmer Bird Rev. Godfrey John rector Dixon George parish clerk
See also the Illington parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.