[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
ILLINGTON parish, on the banks of a rivulet, 5 miles W.N.W. of East Harling, comprises only 88 inhabitants, and 1298 acres of land, all the property of R.K. Long, Esq., the lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, which was valued in the King's Book at £6. 19s. 2d., and is now in the incumbency of the Rev. Godfrey John Bird, who has a good residence, built in 1848, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £145, awarded in 1831.
The Church (St. Andrew) is a small edifice, with a square tower, and an inscription to the memory of Sir John Churchman, Knight. It has three bells, and was thoroughly restored about 15 years ago.
The ancient British road, called Peddar's way, passes through this parish. Francis Hamond Gates farms the parish. POST from Thetford.
See also the Illington parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.