ICKBURGH, or Igburgh, is a small village, 6 miles N.N.E of Brandon, and 9 miles S. of Swaffham, and its parish is in Swaffham union, Grimshoe hundred and petty sessional division, Swaffham county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, Methwold polling district of West Norfolk, South Cranwich rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 182 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1599 acres of land, belonging to W. Amherst Tyssen Amherst, Esq, who is lord of the manor, and has a rateable value of £859.
Ickburgh is by some antiquaries supposed to be the Iciani of Antoninus; but others have placed that Roman station at Oxburgh, and some at Colchester. Several Roman antiquities were dug up in this vicinity many years ago, and among them were two urns, a mile stone, and a pavement of flint stones.
The CHURCH (St. Peter) comprising nave, chancel, and square tower with clock and one bell, was, excepting tower, rebuilt in 1866 by the late Lord Ashburton. Some of the windows contain fragments of ancient stained glass, with figures of the Virgin Mary and St. Catherine. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5 6s 10½d., is united with Langford, W.A.T. Amherst, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. H. Chichele Hart, B.A., rector. The rectory house was built in 1862 by the late Lord Ashburton, who built several new cottages in the village, and in 1850, erected a School, with teacher's residence attached. A new class-room was added by Mr. Amherst in 1870, the school has now accommodation for 80 scholars. The children from Buckingham Tofts [sic] and Langford attend here, the average attendance is 39.
A House of Lepers, founded by William Barentun, in the reign of Edward I., stood at the south end of the village, where its chapel was converted into cottages many years ago. The poor have 27½A. of land, left by Sarah and Mary Dingles.
LETTERS from Brandon, viâ Mundford (railway sub-office), which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office, arrive at 7 a.m. Pillar Box cleared at 5 p.m. (Sundays no post).
Bloy Henry blacksmith Dennant Miss Esther schoolmistress Dixon John shopkeeper Giles Henry farm steward to W.A.T. Amherst, Esq. M.P. Hart Rev. Henry Chichele, B.A. The Rectory Ollett John parish clerk & sexton
Copyright © Pat Newby.