Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Ickburgh

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

ICKBURGH OR IGBURGH is a small village, 6 miles N.N.E. of Brandon, and 9 miles S. of Swaffham, including in its parish 192 inhabitants, and 1599 acres of land, in two farms, belonging to Lord Ashburton and W.A.T. Amhurst, Esq., the former of whom is lord of the manor.

The Church (St. Peter) comprises nave, chancel, and square tower with one bell, and will shortly be restored or rebuilt. Some of the windows contain fragments of ancient stained glass, with figures of the Virgin Mary and St. Catherine. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5. 6s. 10½d., is united with Langford. The tithes were commuted in 1839, for £248 per annum.

The curate occupies the Rectory House, which was built in 1862 by Lord Ashburton, who has rebuilt most of the cottages in the village, and in 1850, erected a neat School, with teacher's residence attached. There are now about 40 pupils.

Ickburgh is by some antiquaries supposed to be the Iciani of Antoninus; but others have placed that Roman station at Oxburgh, and some at Colchester. Several Roman antiquities were dug up in this vicinity many years ago, and among them were two urns, a mile stone, and a pavement of flint stones.

A House of Lepers, founded by Wm. Barentun, in the reign of Edward I., stood at the south end of the village, where its chapel was converted into cottages many years ago. The poor have 27½A. of land, left by Sarah and Mary Dingles.

The chief residents are -

	Clubb     The Rev. James
	            Henchman, M.A.  curate, Rectory
	Dennant   Esther            schoolmistress
	Parker    John              blacksmith
	Rollinson John              farmer
	Rollinson James Plume       farmer
POST from Brandon.


See also the Ickburgh parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
May 2007