HUNWORTH, in the vale of the Glaven, nearly 2 miles S.S.W. of Holt, is a parish in Erpingham union, Holt hundred, petty sessional division, county court district, polling district, rural deanery, and Norwich bankruptcy district and archdeaconry and west division of the county. It had 214 inhabitants in 1881, living on 838 acres, and has a rateable value of £889 12s. 6d. The Dowager Marchioness of Lothian is lady of the manor and owner of the soil.
The CHURCH (St. Lawrence) is in the Perpendicular style, and comprises nave, south transept and porch, chancel, and square embattled tower with one bell. There is a piscina in the transept. The chancel was rebuilt and the rest of the building restored and fitted with open poppy-headed benches in 1850. The Dowager Marchioness of Lothian is patroness of the rectory, which was valued in the King's Book at £4, and is now worth £389, with that of Stody annexed. The Rev. Hugh Scales Fullagar, M.A., is the incumbent, and has here 32 acres of glebe, a good brick residence in the Tudor style, built in 1849, and a yearly rent-charge of £152 10s., awarded in 1841.
The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here.
The National School, for the parishes of Hunworth and Stody, erected in 1850, is attended by about 70 children, and is chiefly supported by the rector and the Marchioness. It has an endowment of £6 a year, left in 1688 by William Symonds, and charged on Stody Hall farm.
POST from East Dereham. Wall Letter Box cleared at 4.20 p.m. Railway Station at Melton Constable
Ebden Edward grocer, draper, and pork butcher Fullagar Rev. Hugh Scales, M.A. rector of Hunworth and Stody, The Rectory Goodbody Miss Jane National schoolmistress Greaves Robert flour & malt dealer Hinsley John vict. Blue Bell Inn Lake James farmer, Beck House Makins Robert farmer, overseer, surveyor, and guardian Pegg James miller; h Hindolston [sic] Sands William John farmer & cattle salesman; and 2 Bank Buildings, Metropolitan Cattle Market, London
Copyright © Pat Newby.