HUNWORTH, in the vale of the Glaven, nearly 2 miles S.S.W. of Holt, has in its parish 206 inhabitants, and 838 acres of land, belonging to the Marquis of Lothian, the lord of the manor and patron of the rectory, which was valued in the King's Book at £4, and is now worth £389, with that of Stody annexed. The Rev. Jas. Bulwer, M.A., is the incumbent, and has here 27A. of glebe, a good brick residence in the Tudor style, built in 1849, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £152. 10s., awarded in 1841.
The Church (St. Lawrence) is in the perpendicular style, and comprises nave, south transept and porch, chancel, and square embattled tower with one bell. There is a piscina in the transept. The chancel was rebuilt and the rest of the building restored and fitted with open poppy-headed benches in 1850.
The National School, erected in 1850, is attended by 45 children, and chiefly supported by the rector. Here is a Primitive Methodist Chapel, and also a Girls' School, which has an endowment of £6 a year, left in 1688 by Wm. Symonds, and charged on Stody Hall farm.
The chief residents are -
The Rector Bassingthwaight Wm. Bidwell farmer (Beck House) Burton James farmer Cooke Mr. John Cooke Robins corn miller Ebden Edw. shopkeeper and butcher Fox Wm. gamekeeper Graveling Thos. shoemaker King Priscilla schoolmistress Moore Jas. farmer Peck Thos. shopkeeper and carpenter Welton Jno. baker and vict., Blue Bell Yallop Geo. schoolmaster and parish clerkPOST from Thetford, via Briningham.
Copyright © Pat Newby.