[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HOWE is a small parish, 6 miles S. by E. of Norwich, in the detached member of Clavering hundred, in Loddon and Clavering union and petty sessional division, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Loddon polling district of South Norfolk, West Brooke rural deanery and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 92 inhabitants in 1881, living on 765 acres, and has a rateable value of £1147. George John Holmes, Esq., J.P., is owner of the soil and lord of the manor, which was anciently held by the noble family of Denny.
The CHURCH (St. Mary) comprises nave, chancel, south porch, and round tower containing one bell. The roof of the nave is of the hammer-beam kind, decorated with winged angels. In the church is a piscina, and the chancel contains a brass tablet, recording the name of Lady Elizabeth Hastings (who was seized of the perpetual advowson of this parish), and setting forth the moral and ecclesiastical duties expected to be fulfilled and discharged by all future incumbents.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8 13s. 4d., and now at £407, with that of Little Poringland annexed to it, is in the patronage of Charles Wheler [sic], Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Lipscomb, who has a commodious residence, built about 70 years ago, and recently enlarged. The glebe is 56 acres, and the tithes of Howe have been commuted for £365 16s. per annum.
An old terrier states: 'There is a school founded by the Right Hon. Lady Elizabeth Hastings, of Ledstone, Yorkshire, and by her endowed with a school house, and an annual salary, fomerly of £5 per annum, now augmented. The Rector of Howe for the time being is sole trustee for the said charity; there is a further sum of 40s., also given by Lady Hastings, for bread and wine for the Sacraments; and 20s. given to the Rector for the time being in trust to buy books for the use of the school. There are eight poor children to be taught to read and write in the school, and if there be not so many in the parish of Howe then the number is to be supplied from West Poringland.' The School was rebuilt on the original site in 1881.
There are also two yearly rent-charges of 8s. left by Ezekiel and John Skoyles, in 1661 and 1672.
LETTERS by walking postman from Norwich viâ Brooke, and collected in pillar post in the village.
Lipscomb Rev. Charles rector (with Little Poringland), Rectory Seaman Hayward farmer, Hall farm Tidnam James farmer, Church farm
See also the Howe parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.