The Church (St. Mary,) is a single pile, with a round tower. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8. 13s. 4d., and in 1831, at £400, with that of Little Poringland annexed to it, is in the patronage of the Rev. Charles Wheler, and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Tattersall, B.A. The glebe is 50A., and the tithes of Howe have been commuted for £202 per annum.
In 1738, Lady Elizabeth Hastings left a house here for a school, but it is now let for £2, which, with £14. 5s. a year received from the trustees of her valuable charities, is applied as follows:- £11. 10s., for the instruction of poor children of Howe and Little Poringland in reading, writing, and arithmetic; 20s. for the purchase of school books; 10s. for sacramental bread and wine, and the residue in distributions of bread among the poor, together with two yearly rent-charges of 8s., left by Ezekiel and John Skoyles, in 1661 and 1672.
Tattersall Rev. Wm., B.A. Rectory farmers Briggs Wm. Taylor John Sewell Geo. Sutton Henry
Copyright © Pat Newby.