[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HOVETON ST. PETER, 9 miles N.E. by N. of Norwich, is a small parish of scattered houses, in Smallburgh union, Tunstead hundred, North Walsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Happing and Tunstead petty sessional division, Coltishall polling district of North Norfolk, Norfolk archdeaconry, and Tunstead division of Waxham rural deanery.
The rateable value in 1881 was £1575 15s., and the gross estimated rental £1779 15s. It had 138 inhabitants in 1881, and has 951A. 23P. of land. Sir Jacob Preston, Bart., is sole proprietor of the soil and impropriator of the tithes. Mr. John Barwell resides at Hoveton Hall, a spacious white brick mansion, with a well-wooded and extensive park, in the vale of a small rivulet which flows southward to the Bure, and divides this parish from that of Neatishead, in which the hall is situated.
The CHURCH stands on the south-west side of the park, and contains several handsome monuments of the Aufrere family, and was rebuilt of brick in 1624. The vicarage, commuted at £120 a year, is consolidated with that of Hoveton St. John. The annual value of the joint livings is £300. The great tithes are held on lease by Sir J. Preston, Bart., and all the tithes of the two parishes were commuted in 1841 for about £660 per annum.
POST viâ Norwich.
Barwell John farmer and wine, &c. merchant, Norwich, The Hall Hargrave Wm. farmer and surveyor Herne Mrs Phœbe & Son farmers, North farm (Jas. Sutton) Ling Benjamin farmer; and Belaugh
See also the Hoveton St Peter parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.