[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HOVETON ST. PETER, 9 miles N.E. by N. of Norwich, is a small parish of dispersed houses, with 137 inhabitants, and 945 acres of land. H.N. Burroughes, Esq., M.P., of Burlingham, is sole proprietor, and lessee of the tithes under the Bishop; but Wm. Burroughes, Esq., resides at Hoveton Hall, a white brick mansion, with a well-wooded and extensive park, in the vale of a small rivulet, which flows southward to the Bure, and divides this from Neatishead parish, in which the hall is situated.
The CHURCH stands on the south-west side of the park, and contains several handsome monuments of the Aufrere family. It was rebuilt of brick in 1624. The vicarage, certified at £17, is consolidated with that of Hoveton St. John, as noticed above [ie the entry for that parish]. The annual value of the joint livings in 1831 was £134. The great tithes are held on lease by the vicar, and all the tithes of the two parishes were commuted in 1841 for about £660 per annum.
Burroughes Wm., Esq. Hoveton Hall Goulder Mrs. Sarah Short Chas. gardener farmers. Burton Samuel Goulder Chas. Read Trivett
See also the Hoveton St Peter parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.