[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HOVETON ST. JOHN, 7½ miles N.E. by N. of Norwich, is a village and parish, in Smallburgh union, Tunstead hundred, North Walsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Happing and Tunstead petty sessional division, Coltishall polling district of North Norfolk, Norfolk archdeaconry, [and] Tunstead division of Waxham rural deanery.
The rateable value in 1881 was £2127 5s., and gross estimated rental £2437 5s. It had 293 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 1528A. 0R. 10P. of land, exclusive of a lake or 'broad' of 133 acres, near the river Bure. T. Calthorpe Blofeld, Esq., M.A., is chief owner of the soil, impropriator of the tithes, and lord of the manor. He resides at Hoveton House, a handsome brick mansion, with Grecian pilasters, and an extensive lawn overlooking the Bure.
Wroxham station on the G.E. railway, is in this parish, and was opened October 24, 1874.
The CHURCH stands on an acclivity about half a mile east of the village, and has a brick tower, built in 1765. The east window was filled with stained glass in 1845 by the late Rev. T.C. Blofeld, and new altar rails have been given by the present incumbent. The benefice is a vicarage, commuted at £116 1s. 6d., and consolidated with Hoveton St. Peter, in the patronage of the Bishop of Norwich and incumbency of the Rev. J.B. Meadows, M.A., who has a good vicarage house built in 1882, at a cost of £1500.
The poor have two yearly rent-charges: viz 10s. left by Daniel Morley, in 1727, and 5s. by Edmund Topcliff, in 1674. Four small almshouses, with gardens, have for many years been kept in repair by the Rev. T.J. Blofeld and his ancestors, but there are no documents relating to their foundation.
POST OFFICE at Samuel Walter's. Letters viâ Norwich, arrive at 6 a.m., and despatched at 5.15 p.m. There is also a Pillar Letter Box cleared at 4.30 p.m., and at 12 noon on Sundays.
Blofeld Thomas Calthorpe, barrister-at-law, chancellor of the M.A. diocese, Norfolk, and recorder of Ipswich, Hoveton house Borroughes - mill manager Brooke Henry farmer Chamberlin John farmer Cooke Samuel Benjamin miller and Horstead Cox John marshman Curtis Thomas landowner, parish clk. overseer, and tax collector Fox John vict. Black Horse Inn Fox Wm. & John joiners & builders Green William Fredk. farmer, owner, brick, &c. maker; and at Wroxham Hargrave Wm. farmer; and Hoveton St. Peter Hudson Norris farmer & marshman Hunter William farmer Ives William shoemaker Jimpson James vict. King's Head Inn, and boat owner and letter Lockwood Edward farmer Meadows Rev. John vicar (with Hoveton St. Peter), Brewster, M.A. the Vicarage Mitchell William farmer Moore James Brett clerk Morter William sedge collar maker Paddle Henry market gardener Platten Charles farmer Royall Miss Alice schoolmistress Short Charles shopkpr. & seed growr Spanton George blacksmith Trower George blacksmith Underhill Fras. Gowland stationmaster, Wroxham Railway Waters Samuel tailor, shopkeeper, and postmaster Whittaker James Charles vict, Horse Shoes Inn, & boat owner & letter Wiley Thomas butcher, Bure cottage Yallop Robert farmer
RAILWAY - Wroxham station on G.E.R. trains to Norwich, Aylsham, Cromer, &c.; F.G. Underhill, collector.
See also the Hoveton St John parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.