[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HOVETON ST. JOHN, 7½ miles N.E. by N. of Norwich, is a village and parish, with 317 inhabitants, and 1766A. of land, exclusive of a lake or broad of 133 acres, near the river Bure. The Rev. T.C. Blofeld is owner of the soil, lessee of the tithes, and lord of the manors. His residence is Hoveton House, a handsome brick mansion, with Grecian pilasters, and an extensive lawn overlooking the Bure.
The CHURCH stands on an acclivity, about half a mile east of the village, and has a brick tower, built in 1765. The benefice [is] a curacy, certified at £17, and consolidated with Hoveton St. Peter, in the incumbency of the Rev. T.C. Blofeld. The Bishop of Norwich is the patron, and also appropriator of the great tithes of both parishes.
The poor have two yearly rent-charges, viz., 10s., left by Daniel Morley, in 1727, and 5s. by Edm. Topcliff, in 1674. Four small Almshouses, with gardens, have for many years been kept in repair by the Rev. T.C. Blofeld and his ancestors, but there are no documents relating to their foundation.
Blofeld Rev Thos. Calthorpe, M.A. Hoveton House Cadge Michael corn miller Fox John bricklayer & vict. Black Horse Hall John wheelwgt. & timber dlr Hudson John turf dealer Hunter William cattle dealer Miles James grocer and draper Pitcher James vict. King's Head Spanton Benjamin blacksmith Steward William shopkeeper FARMERS. Besford Leonard Brown Thomas Chamberlain Mattw. Curtis Thos. Littlewood John Pell Edmund Platten Jonathan
See also the Hoveton St John parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.