HOUGHTON-IN-THE-DALE, or Houghton St. Giles, is a parish and small village, 1 mile S.S.W. of Walsingham, and 4 miles N.N.E. of Fakenham, containing 242 inhabitants, and about 1,000 acres of land, belonging to the Rev. D.H. Lee-Warner, the lord of the manor, impropriator, and patron of the CHURCH, (St. Giles,) which is a single pile, with a tower and three bells.
The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £8, and in 1831 at £149, was augmented with £400 of Queen Anne's Bounty, in 1755 and 1787, vested in 16A. of land, at Fulmodeston. The old glebe is 4A., but the parsonage is divided into cottages. The Rev. John Drake Crofts, M.A., of Walsingham, is the present vicar.
On the west side of the dale is a small ancient chapel, converted into a barn, and supposed to have been an appendage to Walsingham abbey.
The rent of 3 acres of land, allotted at the enclosure, is applied in repairing the highways, except the distribution of two loads of coals among the poor.
Brown Wm. farmer Butler Robt. farmer Clarke Matthew blacksmith Ebdill Jas. farmer Frowhawk Fras. farm steward Frowhawk Nicholas farmer Haws Jonathan vict., Buck Smith Samuel shopkpr. Twiddy Chas. shoemaker
Copyright © Pat Newby.