HOUGHTON-ON-THE-HILL is a small parish, 4 miles S.E. of Swaffham, mostly belonging to E.A. Applewhaite, Esq. It is in Swaffham union, South Greenhoe hundred and petty sessional division, Swaffham county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, Swaffham polling district of West Norfolk, Cranwich rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 48 inhabitants in 1881, living on 601 acres, and has a rateable value of £999. Mr. Edward Phillips Dodd is the only resident farmer.
The CHURCH (St. Mary) is a small edifice, comprising nave, chancel, and square tower with one bell. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4 18s. 9d., and consolidated with that of North Pickenham.
POST from Swaffham, which is the nearest Money Order Office, by rural messenger, arrives at 8.30 a.m., despatched at 5.10 p.m.
Dodd Edward Phillips farmer
Copyright © Pat Newby.