Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Horstead with Stanninghall

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

HORSTEAD-WITH-STANINGHALL form a consolidated parish, with a village of the former name, pleasantly seated on the south bank of the river Bure, 7 miles N.N.E. of Norwich. The parish contains 625 inhabitants, and 2586A. of land, of which only 53 souls, and 314 acres are in Staninghall, formerly a parish, but now in one farm, two miles south of Horstead, belonging to Lord Suffield, and having the ruins of a church, which was dilapidated in the reign of Elizabeth, since which the owner has paid a yearly modus of £5. 10s. to Frettenham, with which it is ecclesiastically connected, though it pays church rates to Horstead.

Horstead CHURCH (All Saints,) has a handsome antique font, and several memorials of the Ward, Hornsell, Townshend, and other families. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7. 10s., and in 1831 at £402, is in the incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Abbott, and patronage of the Provost and Fellows of King's College, Cambridge, who are also lords of the manor, which is mostly copyhold on fine certain.

Horstead Hall, erected in 1835, in the Elizabethan style, in a romantic dale, which opens to the Bure, is the property of Lord Suffield, and is occupied by the Dowager Lady Suffield; and Horstead House, another neat mansion, is the property of E.H. Lyon, Esq. Thos. Blake, Esq., LL.D., has a handsome seat here, and half a mile E. of the village is an ancient hamlet, called Haggard street.

The National School was established in 1841.

The Poor's Land, 7A., is let in 16 plots, at the rate of 30s. per acre.

	Abbott     Rev Wm., M.A.    Rectory
	Baldwin    J.               bricklayer & lime burner
	Blake      Thos. Esq. LL.D.
	Brightwen  Thos. Esq.       Horstead Hs.
	Cooke &
	  Gambling                  corn millers
	Cooke      Mr. Samuel       Mill House
	Coman      John             tailor
	Deacle     Rev H. jun.      curate, (house Cottishall [sic])
	Ewing      J.               vict. Recruiting Sergeant
	Lee        John             corn miller
	Norgate    Maria            schoolmistress
	Partridge  Robert           gent.
	Smith      Robert           grocer and draper
	Suffield   Dowager Lady     Hall
	Wright     Jas.             coal and timber mert.

	   Blacksmiths.                Shoemakers.

	Burrell    George           Amis      Robert
	Foulger    John             Bird      Edward

	                     FARMERS.

	Foster     John             Moore     Benjamin
	Gosling    Wm.              Page      Philip
	Howlett    Harcrt.          Starling  George
	London     Robert           Utting    John,
	Mayes      William                       Staninghall

See also the Horstead with Stanninghall parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
January 2010