[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HORSHAM ST. FAITH, and NEWTON ST. FAITH, are two villages forming one united parish, commonly called ST. FAITH'S, and distant about 4 to 5 miles N. of Norwich, on the Aylsham road. They contain about 2400A. of land, and increased their population from 883 in 1801, to 1307 souls, in 1841, of whom 973 were in Horsham, and 334 in Newton. The latter has only about 750 acres, and the former 1650 acres. At the enclosure, in 1802, 58A. 3R. 38P. of heath was awarded to the poor of Horsham, and 68A. to the poor of Newton.
HORSHAM, the largest village, is situated above a small rivulet, and is celebrated for its large cattle fair, held yearly on the 17th of October, and continued during the three following weeks, for the sale of Scotch cattle, &c. Here are about twenty looms, employed by the Norwich manufacturers, but here were formerly more than 100. Hugh de Cressi had the privilege of a weekly market here, in the 41st of Henry III., but it has long been obsolete.
Here were formerly a Benedictine Priory, and a Hospital of Knights Templar. The priory, dedicated to St. Faith, the Virgin and Martyr, was founded by Robert de Codomo, lord of Horsford, and Sibilla his wife, in the year 1105; after which, numerous bequests were made to it by the families who possessed this and the adjacent manor of Horsford. In the reign of Richard II., this priory was discharged from its subjection to the abbey of Couches, in France, and constituted indigeni. At the dissolution, its annual revenues were valued at £193. 2s. 3½d., and granted with the rectory and advowson of Horsford to Sir Richard Southwell and Edward Ellington, Esq.
Some of the boundary walls of the priory still remain on the Abbey farm, near the CHURCH, which is a large Gothic structure, with a fine groined porch and embattled tower. It was repaired and beautified in 1844. The benefice is a curacy, valued in 1831 at only £60, though augmented in 1773 and 1801, with £400 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and in 1813, with a Parliamentary grant of £1200. The Rev. O. Mathias is the incumbent, and Admiral Stephens is the patron, impropriator, lord of the manor, and principal owner of the soil. The impropriate tithes were commuted in 1842, for £711 per annum.
NEWTON is a smaller village, one mile N. of Horsham, but has no church.
The Wesleyans have a chapel in both the villages, and that at Horsham was enlarged in 1844.
The Workhouse of ST. FAITH'S UNION is here, as noticed at page 778 [which is the entry for Taverham Hundred].
In the following Directory, those marked * are in Newton, and the others in Horsham St. Faith.
The POST OFFICE is at the Black Swan, were [sic] letters are received at 7 morning, and despatched at 6 evening.
Brown Richard cattle dealer Carman Samuel blacksmith Cooper Wm. vict. Cross Keys Dover Robert schoolmaster Eglington Richard corn miller * Ewing Stephen miller and grocer Forster W. bricklayer & vict. Crown Kerry Henry tailor Larwood Jerh. vict. King's Head Mandel Mr Thomas Nunn Simon beer house Pearce John blacksmith * Pointer Edmund vict. Crown Priestley Wm. S. surgeon Reynolds Jas. corn & coal merchant Richards Robert relieving officer Rice Jas. butcher & vict. Black Swan Scarnett John wheelwright & joiner Stowers Joshua colt breaker Swann Thos. C. gov. Workhouse Bakers. * Pointer George Taylor Sarah Boot & Shoe Mkrs. * Allen John Griffin Joseph Blyth Robert * Newton Robert Bridger John Pleasants Thos. FARMERS. Baxter Robert Reynolds Joseph Carman Philip L. Reynolds Eliz. (registrar) Reynolds Edwd. Cook Robins West John Cook James West John, jun. Cope James Webster John Lovick John Gardeners. * Burdett Wm. * Coleby Mrs J. Bridger Wm. Fuller Wm. Clarke William * King Sarah Shopkeepers. Bullard Robert Roofe Samuel Carman S.J.S. Webb Benj. (and Fuller Wm. basket maker) Harper Elizabeth Wright Richard Pleasants Thos.
COACHES. To Norwich ½ past 9 mng. and ¼ before 6 evening; to Aylsham and Cromer 5 evng. and ¼ past 7 morng., from the Black Swan.
See also the Horsham St Faith with Newton St Faith parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.