Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Horsey

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Peter Green]

HORSEY-NEXT-THE-SEA, on a gentle eminence, 11 miles N. by W. of Yarmouth, and 1 mile from the beach, has in its parish 162 souls, and 1839A. of land, including 132A. of wood, but exclusive of Horsey mere, a lake of 112 acres.

Robert Rising, Esq., is owner of most of the soil, and lord of the manor, which was purchased by the late R. Rising, Esq., of Sir G.B. Brograve and others, upwards of forty years ago, when it was of little value, being generally flooded; but this gentleman, by repairing the sea-bank, draining the marshes, planting quickthorn hedges, and making a road to Somerton, has rendered it one of the most fertile estates in the county.

The Church (All Saints) is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Books at £3 1s. 5½d., and augmented from 1739 to 1788, with £800 of Queen Anne's Bounty. The Rev. William Rees, M.A., of Alby, is the incumbent, and the patronage is vested with the Trustees of North Walsham Free School, to whom 147 acres were allotted at the enclosure, in lieu of rectorial tithes, but they still take tithe on 270A. of arable land. The vicarage was valued, in 1831, at £135 per annum, and is usually held by the master of the said school. (See page 487 [which is the entry for North Walsham].)

The Poor's Allotment, 9A. 3R. 9P., was awarded at the enclosure, in 1816.


	Drury   Rev. George, B.A. curate
	Morten  Thomas            vict. Nelson's Head
	Rising  Robert, Esq.
	Rising  Mrs.


	Chapman Wm.               Myhill  Wm.
	Haylock David             Plane   John
	Ling    Francis           Watts   Wm.

See also the Horsey parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
June 1999