Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Horningtoft

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

HORNINGTOFT, a parish of scattered houses, 5 miles S. by E. of Fakenham, and 3 miles N.W. from Elmham Railway Station, is in Mitford union, East Dereham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Fakenham polling district of West Norfolk, Launditch hundred and petty sessional division, Brisley rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 210 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1405 acres, and has a rateable value of £2146. J.G.E. Davey, Esq., who resides at the Manor House, is lord of the manor and chief owner of the soil, but Messrs. M. Phillippo and S.M. Hopson have estates here.

Horningtoft Wood, which was formerly 250 acres in extent, has been cleared by the lord of the manor, excepting 45 acres. In the wood are a number of curious earthworks, consisting of a bank and ditch enclosing a small circular space, with one of a somewhat larger size, of a horse-shoe form, adjoining it. Foundations of some regular building of rubble-work, and a well in a very perfect state, are within the enclosure, and tradition says there was once a great castle here.

The CHURCH (St. Edmund) was much injured by the fall of the steeple in 1796; but was thoroughly repaired in the following year. It is a small building, comprising only a nave and chancel, separated by a carved screen, and was entirely restored in 1871. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6 17s. 8d., and now at £335, is consolidated with that of Whissonsett. Here are 27 acres of glebe.

The Parish land consists of two acres, on which are two cottages. The Horningtoft and Whissonsett United District School Board is at Whissonsett (which see).

POST via Dereham. Elmham is the nearest Telegraph Office and Railway Station, and Whissonsett is the nearest Money Order Office.

	Betts      Edmund      farmer
	Clare      John        farmer
	Curson     John        farmer
	Davey      John Geo.
	             Ellis     frmr. Manor hse
	Day        Philip      shopkeeper
	Drew       Henry       farmer
	Drew       James       frmr. & vict. Hurdle Inn
	Goodman    Martin      farmer
	Johnson    David       shopkeeper
	Johnson    Robert      farmer
	Mendham    Robert      cattle dealer
	Phillippo  Matthias    farmer and landowner
	Strange    Joseph      beerhouse
	Stratton   Thomas      farmer
	Tait       Mrs Mary    farmer
	Tuffts     George      farmer
	Webster    Robert      farmer
	Wilberson  Thomas      farmer
	Youngman   Allen       farmer

From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:

First Paragraph:
"omit 'is lord of the manor;'"
"omit 'chief owner of the soil, but;'"
The text becomes:
J.G.E. Davey, Esq., who resides at the Manor House, and Messrs. M. Phillippo and S.M. Hopson have estates here.

Second Paragraph:
"omit 'by the lord of the manor;'"
"after 'acres,' insert '. R.Cates, Esq., is lord of the manor.'
The text becomes:
Horningtoft Wood, which was formerly 250 acres in extent, has been cleared, excepting 45 acres. R.Cates, Esq., is lord of the manor.

In Directory,
"insert 'Armison Joseph, vermin destroyer and farmer.'"
"For 'Day Philip,' read 'Doy Philip;'"
"for Mendham Robert, 'cattle dealer,' read 'farmer;'
"for 'Tuffts' George, read 'Tuffs;'"
"for 'Wilberson,' read 'Williamson.'"


See also the Horningtoft parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
February 2002