Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Horningtoft

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

HORNINGTOFT, a parish of scattered houses, 5 miles S. by E. of Fakenham, has 290 inhabitants, and 1,386A. 1R. 34P. of land, including 200A. of wood. Mrs Anne Talbot is lady of the manor, but part of the soil belongs to other proprietors.

The Church (St. Edmund,) was much injured by the fall of the steeple, in 1796; but was thoroughly repaired in the following year. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 17s. 8d., and in 1840, at £335, is consolidated with that of Whissonsett, in the gift of F.R. Reynolds, and incumbency of the Rev. E.C. Kemp. The glebe is 27A., and the parish land, 2A., on which are two cottages.

Directory

	Hannent   Jno.       blacksmith
	Peace     Thos.      beer seller
	Raven     Philip     vict., Hurdle
	Winearls  Mrs. Emily

	   farmers.

	Applegate Thos.
	Drew      Stephen
	Futter    Geo.       (to Mr. Elgar)
	Meck      Wm.
	Reeve     John
	Soley     Samuel
	Vincent   Thos.
	Vincent   Samuel
	Wormer    Benjamin

See also the Horningtoft parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
February 2002