HONINGHAM is a neat village on the East Dereham road, 8 miles W. by N. of Norwich. Its parish is in St. Faith's Union, and has 358 souls, and 2527 acres of land, all the property of the Rt. Hon. and Rev. Henry Wm. Powlett Lord Bayning, the lord of the manor, who is rector of Brome, in Suffolk, but now resides about three months of the year at Honingham Hall, a fine Elizabethan mansion, in an extensive and well-wooded park. It was erected (except the new south front,) by Lord Chief Justice Richardson, and afterwards sold to the Hon. Wm. Townshend, fourth son of Viscount Townshend, who married the heiress of Lord Powlett. His son Charles was created Lord Bayning, of Foxley (Berks.,) in 1797, and was, for many years, ambassador to the Court of Spain. He died in 1819, and was succeeded by his eldest son, Charles, who died unmarried in 1823, when his brother, the present lord, succeeded.
The Church (St. Andrew,) stands a mile east of the village, and the living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £8.12s.6d., and in 1831 at £503, with that of East Tuddenham annexed to it. Lord Bayning is patron, and the Rev. Wm. Smith incumbent. The tithes of Honingham were commuted in 1840 for £207.6s. per annum.
Here is a National School for both sexes.
The Poor's Land, 1½A., with seven cottages upon it, was sold by the overseers a few years ago for £220, applied with the poor rates. About 1790, the Rev. Roger Du Quesne, charged his estate here with the yearly payment of 30s. for the poor, 10s. for the clerk, and 10s. for distribution in religious books.
Bayning Rt. Hon. and Rev. Lord Hall Child Mary blacksmith Neeve Robt. Johnson miller Secker John carpenter Smith Rev. Wm. Rectory Spratt Job Ephraim, and Mrs. National School Young James vict., Buck Inn (posting) farmers Balls Thomas Gooch Stephen Hipkin Thomas and Stephen Reeve Widow and Howard Thurston JohnThe Lynn and Norwich coaches and carriers call at the Buck.
Copyright © Pat Newby.