HONING, a small village and parish, on the east side of the canal, nearly 4 miles S.E. of North Walsham, is in Smallburgh union, Tunstead hundred, North Walsham county court district, Happing and Tunstead petty sessional division, Norwich bankruptcy district, North Walsham polling district of North Norfolk, Norfolk archdeaconry, and rural deanery of Waxham (Tunstead division). The rateable value in the year 1881 was £2241.
It had 322 inhabitants in the year 1881, and the parish comprises 1187A. 1R. 17P. of enclosed land, and about 200A. of wood, heath, and common, on which the poor have the right of herbage. The principal owner and lord of the manor, is Edward George Cubitt, Esq., of Honing Hall, a large modern mansion of brick, built in 1748, and enlarged in 1871, and situated in a richly wooded park of 60 acres. The Earl of Kimberley and others have small estates here.
The CHURCH (St. Peter & St. Paul) is a handsome edifice, comprising nave, chancel, and south porch, which were renovated in 1796, and an ancient and lofty tower containing five bells. There are 300 sittings. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £4 13s. 4d., is consolidated with that of Dilham. (See page 233). The Rev. John Alfred Laurence, B.A., is the incumbent, and he resides at Dilham. The glebe here is 19 acres, and the tithes were commuted in 1842, for yearly rent-charges of £145 to the vicar, and £283 to the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, the appropriators.
The poor have the interest of £46, arising from the sale of a house left by John Gibbs. Rents amounting to £37 10s. a year from 3A. 2R. 36P., in Tunstead, left by Thomas Husband, in 1613, and 18A. 3P. in Dilham, left by John Baxter, are disposed of as follows: half for church expenses in lieu of a church rate, and half for the benefit of the parish, of this latter half £16 is given for the schooling of poor children. There is a sum of £135 belonging to the parish in the hands of the Charity Commissioners.
A new National School was built in 1872, on a piece of glebe given by the vicar, at a gross cost of £230. Here is a large nursery comprising about 7 acres.
POST viâ Smallburgh, Norwich.
ANDREWS Mr Thomas BARNARD Samuel parish clerk BEANE John blacksmith BECK George farmer, Bridge gate BROWN James John grocer, draper, and beer retailer BROWN James Nurse cooper & vict. Swan Inn BUFFHAM Frederick farmer BUFFHAM John farmer CUBITT Edward Geo. Esq. landowner, The Hall FORDER Miss Jane schoolmistress GAZE Charles farmer GEDGE James farmer GEDGE Richard farmer LARTER John blacksmith LAURENCE Rev. John Alfred, B.A. vicar; h Dilham vicarage LINES Nathaniel farmer NEAVE Mr James OSBORNE Robert basket maker PAGE Robert farmer POINTER James farmer POOLEY Jas. vict. Gardeners' Arms Inn STEWARD John farmer THIRTLE Charles farmer WARNES Henry shoemaker WATKINSON George nurseryman, &c. WATSON Richard grocer and draper YOUNGMAN Thomas farmer
See also the Honing parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.