The CHURCH (St. Peter and St. Paul,) was re-built in 1796, except the tower. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £4. 13s. 4d., is consolidated with that of Dilham. (See page 478 [which is the entry for Dilham.) The glebe here is 17A., and the tithes were commuted in 1842, for the yearly rent of £145 to the vicar, and £283 to the Bishop of Ely, the appropriator.
The poor have the interest of £46, arising from the sale of a house left by John Gibbs. Rents amounting to £37s. 17s. [sic] a year from 3A. 2R. 36P., left by Thomas Husband, in 1613, and 18A. 3P., left by John Baxter, are disposed of as follows: £12 for schooling about 15 poor children; 10s. to poor widows; about 20s. to lying-in-women; and the residue is carried to the accounts of the churchwardens, who held a balance of £132. in 1833.
Algar James schoolmaster Barcham Wm. grocer and draper Beck James vict. Gardeners' Arms Brown Wm. grocer and beerhouse Buley Buckingham blacksmith Cubitt Edw. Geo. Esq. Honing Hall Gaze George auctioneer, &c. Martin John nurseryman Watts Wm. vict. White Swan Waters John blacksmith Warnes Henry shoemaker Wiseman Thomas shoemaker Youngman Thomas corn miller FARMERS. (* are yeomen.) Buffhan Robert Bush Thomas Cole John Gage Charles Gage George *Gedge James Palmer James Steward John Youngman Rd. Watson Thomas
Copyright © Pat Newby.