See Norfolk Parish Links
for more information about this parish.
Search Genuki Norfolk for a NAME or a PLACE or a TOPIC.
What's New in Genuki Norfolk.
Holt is about 21 miles N.N.W. of Norwich.
It is also the name of the hundred and the deanery, so a reference
to Holt could mean this parish, or this area of Norfolk.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
- The Monumental Inscriptions in the Hundred of Holt (Walter Rye).
- The parishes covered include Holt.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Censuses
- In 1883 the parish was in the
Deanery of Holt, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both
before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Andrew.
Nearby Churches of all denominations.
- (No author)
- The Wesleyan Conference v. Cozens-Hardy and others.
A report of the proceedings in Chancery against the trustees
and mortgagees of two Wesleyan chapels at Holt, in the
county of Norfolk, before Vice-Chancellor Lord Cranworth,
at Westminster Hall, April 16th, 17th, 23rd, and 24th, and
May 7th, 1851; with an introduction by W. Cozens-Hardy,
showing the origin, progress, and termination of the suit.
[London, John Kaye and Co., 1852]
- Linnell, Charles Lawrence Scruton
- Holt Church (St Andrew), Norfolk.
[London, Home Words, 1956]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Parish Register Transcripts
For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837
and 1930 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Holt was in
Erpingham Registration District.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration
Description and Travel
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Description and Travel
- Description, history and pictures.
- Bunn, Rhoda
- Holt and District: a portrait in old picture postcards.
[ISBN 1870708385, S.B. Publications, 1990]
- Harrod, Mrs W. (editor)
- Official guide to Holt and district, Norfolk.
Designed and published by the Holt and District Chamber of Trade
[Holt, Rounce and Wortley, (19--)]
- MacKeown, Martin
- Holt and its environs.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Directories
- 1883: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- Holt and District Official Guide.
[Holt Parish Council, Rounce and Wortley, 1934]
- Holt Almanac and Directory, including Kelling and High Kelling, with
- Holt: Official Guide, Directory and Map: 1984-1985.
[ISBN 0907005039, Wisbech, Charles N. Veal, Holt Town Council, 1984?]
Holt is in Holt Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Holt Hundred
- Description of Holt Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- (No author)
- An account of the festival at Holt, given in commemoration
of the happy return of peace, on the twelfth of August, 1814.
[Holt, J. Shalders, 1814]
- Brooks, Peter
- Holt: historical market town.
[ISBN 0946148015, Poppyland, 1982]
- Hales, Jane
- Ninety years in one house.
[ISBN 0948400471, Larks Press, 1996]
- Hales, Jane
- One thing and another.
[Wisbech, Veal, 1982]
- Hales, Jane
- Three centuries at Holt. Published for the Holt Society.
[Hunstanton, Priests Publications, 1968]
- Radford, Lewis Bostock
- History of Holt: a brief study of parish, church and school.
[Holt, Rounce and Wortley, 1908]
Land and Property
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Land and Property
- See Letheringsett
- Parker, Graham
- A History of Holt Hall - up to 1946.
(Including the families of Briggs, Hobart, De Nerford,
Pemberton, Rogers, De Roos, Tomlinson and Vaux).
[Norfolk Education Authority, c1990]
- Modern and Historical Maps
- Maps of the parish.
See Norfolk Parish Links: Military Records
Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc
- After 1834 Holt became part of the
and the workhouses were at
These were replaced by a new workhouse at
West Beckham in 1850.
- Hales, Jane; and Yaxley, Susan
"On the parish": recorded lives of the poor of Holt and district,
[ISBN 0948400226, Dereham, Larks Press, 1994]
- Gresham's School
- History, pictures, etc.
- Lee, Peter John
- A catalogue of the Foundation Library: (with notes and an
[Holt, Gresham's School, 1965]
- Linnell, Charles Lawrence Scruton and Douglas, A.B.
- Gresham's School, history and register, 1555-1954.
- Simpson, James Herbert
- Schoolmaster's Harvest: some findings of fifty years, 1894-1944.
(Gresham's School, including index).
[London, Faber and Faber, 1954]
- Smart, Sue
- When Heroes Die: a forgotten archive reveals the last days
of the schoolfriends who died for Britain.
(Pupils of Gresham's School who died in World War 1, including
[ISBN 1859832563, Breedon, 2001]
See Norfolk Parish Links: Voting Registers
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
Copyright © Pat Newby.