HOLME-HALE is a scattered village and parish, chiefly on a bold acclivity, above the small river Wissey, 5 miles E. by S. of Swaffham. It is in Swaffham union, South Greenhoe hundred, and petty sessional division, Swaffham county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, Swaffham polling district of West Norfolk, North division of Cranwich rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
It had 411 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2601 acres, and has a rateable value of £3981. The parish partly belongs to Captain H.S. Adlington, who is lord of the manor, R.H. Mason, Esq., Mrs. Elizabeth Fisher, Jonathan Farrow, Esq., and William Baker, Esq. There is a small rectorial manor.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is of mixed architecture, principally Perpendicular. The tower was commenced temp. Richard III. It has a large nave, small chancel, north aisle and porch, vestry, and square tower with six bells, and contains an organ, and had two fine brasses to Sir Edmund Illey and William Curteys, but these were stolen many years ago. The chancel has an open timber roof, and is separated from the nave by a good Perpendicular screen. In 1868 the church was thoroughly restored, new roof on north aisle, roof of nave repaired, reseated, and a new floor. In 1826, the sexton found in the churchyard six base groats of Henry VIII., enclosed in a woollen cloth, which crumbled to pieces on being touched.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12 16s. 5d., is in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Milne, M.A., who has 55A. 3R. 32P. of glebe, a good residence, rebuilt in 1846, and a yearly rent-charge of £572, awarded in 1839 in lieu of tithes.
Here is a NATIONAL SCHOOL. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here.
The Town Lands were exchanged at the enclosure in 1804, for a house and 46A. 1R. 38P., let for £70 a year. In 1880 the Charity Commissioners issued a scheme by which a sum not exceeding in any one year £20 may be given to the maintenance of public worship in lieu of church rates. £7 5s. is given to coal fund from the estate by direction of the Charity Commissioners. The Widows' Pightle is let for £2 a year. The Fuel Allotment, 22A. 1R. 9P., was awarded at the enclosure, and is let to poor parishioners at the rate of 20s. an acre. The rents are returned to the poor inhabitants in coal during the winter.
POST OFFICE at Mr. John Arthurton's. Letters through Thetford arrive at 8.45 A.M., despatched at 4.45 p.m.; Sundays despatched at 9.30 a.m. Bradenham is the nearest Money Order Office; the nearest Telegraph Office is 6 miles distant.
Adcock Henry farmer Adlington Capt. Henry Smith, J.P. The Hall Allingham Fred. Chas. vict. Red Lion Andrews George farmer, Hill farm Andrews Thomas farmer Arthurton John grocer, draper and postmaster Baker William farmer Baker Mr William Gibson Badley exors. of late George Martin farmers [see note below] Barrett Robert farmer, Town farm Barcham William farmer and cattle dealer, Ernford house Copsey James farmer and freeholder Daynes Geo. farm bailiff [see note below] Dewing Mrs Ford Mr George Charles Gainsborough Mrs Ann cottager Heyhoe George farmer, Elm farm Hunt Charles beerhouse Lock James Edwards farmer, Cutbush Milne Rev. Henry, M.A., J.P. The Rectory Oldfield John beerhouse Oxborough William shopkeeper Payne James blacksmith Powell Arthur Ernest surgeon, farmer, and landowner, Bury hall Regestir Saml. Gibbons vict. Railway Inn Regestir Thos. baker & coal merchant Spencer William farmer Secker Thomas parish clerk Swan Mrs Fanny Elise Natnl. schlmts Swan Jas. assist. overseer, poors and highway rate collector, and assessor and collector of taxesRAILWAY STATION - Geo. Smith, colltr
Copyright © Pat Newby.