HOO, or Hoe, is a small village and parish, 2 miles N.E. of East Dereham, in Mitford and Launditch union and petty sessional division, Launditch hundred, East Dereham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Litcham polling district of West Norfolk, and Mitford division of Hingham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 197 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1400 acres, and its rateable value is £2662.
Hoe Hall, 2 miles N.E. of Dereham, has some Elizabethan chimneys. The Rev. Henry E. Lombe is lord of the manor. T.B. Grounds and A. Waters, Esqrs., are the chief owners of the soil, but the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, and a few smaller owners, have estates here.
The CHURCH is a small building, consisting of west tower, nave and chancel, and is dedicated to St. Andrew. The tower and the east window of the chancel are of the Early Decorated period. The remainder of the church, having been rebuilt about 150 years ago, retains no features of a remarkable character. It has lately been rebenched throughout, affording accommodation for some 200 worshippers. The perpetual curacy, valued in the King's Book at £8 13s. 4d., is annexed to the vicarage of East Dereham. The Church Land, 12A. 1R., is let for £16 10s.
The Poor's Allotment, 12 acres, awarded in 1814, is let for £9 10s. The poor have also £4 4s. from Gooch's charity. (See p.222 [which is the entry for East Dereham].)
LETTERS from East Dereham, which is the nearest Money Order Office, arrive at 8 a.m. No Sunday delivery.
Barker Robert parish clerk Blazy Mrs Elizabeth Jarratt Mrs Hanh. Angel Hotel, & frmr Kitteringham Downing brick & tile mkr Norton Samuel Robert farmer Stammers Arthur Robert farmer, Manor House farm Stammers Ernest C. farmer Stokley Robert farm bailiff Waters Azariah farmer & landowner Wigg Chas. Heyhoe farmer & lndownr Williams George, Esq. Gorgate hall
Copyright © Pat Newby.