Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Hockwold cum Wilton

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

HOCKWOLD-WITH-WILTON are adjoining villages, on the north side of the vale of the Little Ouse river, from 4 to 5 miles W. of Brandon, and 8 miles S. by W. of Stoke-Ferry. They form one parish, in Thetford union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Grimshoe hundred and petty sessional division, Methwold polling district of West Norfolk, South Cranwich rural deanery and Norfolk archdeaconry. The parish had 809 inhabitants in 1881, living on 7478 acres, and has a rateable value of about £8000. A new road was made, with a suspension bridge across the river to Suffolk, through the two villages, in 1829. Wilton fair, for toys, pedlery, &c., is held on July 25. The principal owners and lords of the manors are Lieut. Francis D'Arcy Newcome, owner of Hockwold manor; Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, of Carles manor.

HOCKWOLD CHURCH (St. Peter) is a small edifice, comprising nave, south aisle, chancel, and square tower with three bells. There are sedilia and a piscina in the chancel, and in the south aisle is another piscina. The building was restored in 1857, and is furnished with open benches seating 270 persons.

WILTON CHURCH (St. James), comprises lofty nave and chancel, with a square tower containing six bells, surmounted by an octagonal spire of freestone. The screen is of carved oak, and two piscinas and the entrance to the rood loft still remain. The benches have good poppies, and afford accommodation for 250 worshippers. This church was restored about 30 years ago.

Hockwold rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9 13s. 11d., and Wilton vicarage at £6 7s. 6d., are consolidated, and are in the gift of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. William Wayman Hutt, M.A., who has a good residence, rebuilt in 1862. Here are about 92A. of glebe, and the tithes were commuted in 1839 for £766 a year. The two churches are nearly a mile apart, and service is performed in each of them, once every Sunday.

The National school, built in 1840, is attended by about 140 children. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. Within the bounds of the parish is an extra-parochial farm, called Redmere, on which are two houses.

On 30A. of fen land, the poor cut turf without any restraint. They have also about £10 from 5A. of land left by Robert Clough, in 1733; £10 from 9A. of fen purchased with the poor's money, in 1769; and £10 as interest of £200, left by the Rev. William Adamson, in 1776. These doles are distributed about Christmas. A rent-charge of 24s., left by Thomas Blackerly, in 1839, appears to be lost.

About twenty-two years ago, a beautiful gold cross of Byzantine workmanship, containing in its centre a coin of Heraclius I., and his son Heraclius Constantinus, was found in a gravel pit at Wilton. Three limbs of the cross, and the parts surrounding the central coin are filled up with pieces of brilliant red glass, elegantly disposed in a mosaic pattern, and the upper limb forms a ring or loop by which the jewel was suspended.

POST OFFICE at Mr. John Pettitt's. Letters arrive at 3.40 A.M., and are despatched at 8.30 P.M. viâ Brandon.

	Baker      Charles George  baker, corn, and flour dealer
	Balding    William         vict. Black Horse
	Barker     George          saddler
	Bell       Henry           bootmaker
	Bell       Henry           grocer
	Cater      George          farmer
	Clark      Jeremiah        fish & marine store dlr
	Cock       Charles         farmer and coal dealer
	Cock       Mrs Elizabeth
	Cock       Miss Mary
	Cole       Thomas          corn and coal merchant and surveyor
	Cossey     William         farmer, Fen
	Enefer     James           bootmaker
	Enefer     Jesse           vict. New Inn & farmer
	Enefer     Joseph          farmer, Fen
	Enefer     Luke            farmer, Fen
	Enefer     Samuel          blacksmith
	Gillott    Mrs Elizabeth   farmer
	Green      John            farmer
	Green      John            firewood dealer
	Green      William         farmer, Fen
	Green      Wm.             vict. Anchor Inn & frmr
	Greenacre  Henry           farmer, Fen
	Greenfield James           carpentr, builder, and wheelwright
	Harrison   Granger         butcher & shopkpr
	Hicks      James           vict. Red Lion
	Hutt       Rev. Wm.
	             Wayman, M.A.  rector
	Jacob      George Robert   farmer
	Jacob      Henry           farmer & landowner
	Johnson    Edward          farmer
	Johnson    Mark            farmer
	Lamb       George          farmer
	Lawson     John            farmer, Manor house
	Malt       Mrs Eliza       shopkeeper
	Moore      John Simon      seed, corn, cake, and coal merchant,
	                             and Lakenheath
	Morley     Robert George   grocer, draper, and bricklayer
	Morley     William         bricklayer & builder
	Oxer       George          vict. Ferry Boat
	Palmer     George Robert   blacksmith
	Peacock    Robert          farmer, Field farm
	Pearson    Henry           farmer
	Pearson    William Henry   nursery and seedsman,
	                             and assistant overseer
	Pettitt    John            tailor and postmaster
	Shinn      Henry           farmer and carrier
	Stallon    Mrs Sarah       farmer
	Watson     James           schoolmaster
	Watson     Samuel          beerhouse
	Webb       Mrs Rebecca
	West       Miss Sophia     shopkeeper
	Williamson George          firewood dealer
	Wisbey     Henry           farm bailiff to F. D'Arcy Newcome, Esq.
	Wright     Mr Job
CARRIER - Henry Shinn, to Thetford, Saturdays
See also the Hockwold cum Wilton parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
October 2009