Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Hockwold cum Wilton

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

HOCKWOLD-WITH WILTON are adjoining villages, on the north side of the vale of the Little Ouse river, from 4 to 5 miles W. of Brandon, and 8 miles S. by W. of Stoke-Ferry. They form one parish, containing 994 inhabitants, and 6569 acres of land, over which a new road was made, with a suspension bridge across the river to Suffolk, in 1829. Hockwold FAIR, for toys, pedlery, &c., is held on July 25th. The principal owners and lords of the manors, are the Rev. William Newcome, owner of Hockwold manor; Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, of Carles manor; and Gover and Co., of Wayland manor.

Hockwold Church (St. Peter,) is a small edifice with a broad square tower, three bells, and a fine brass, on which are pourtrayed [sic] Amfelicia, wife of Sir John Tindale, and her nine children, dated 1535.

Wilton Church (St. James,) is an ancient edifice, with a tower containing six bells, and surmounted by an octangular spire of freestone.

Hockwold rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9. 13s. 11d., and Wilton vicarage at £6. 7s. 6d., are consolidated, and were valued in 1831 at £530. They are in the gift of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Hanson, who is lessee of the rectorial tithes of Wilton, under the said college. Service is performed every Sunday, alternately in each church.

Here is a Wesleyan chapel, and also a National School, the latter built in 1840.

Within the bounds of the parish is an extra-parochial farm called Redmore, on which are two houses. The tithes were commuted in 1839.

On 30A. of fen land, the poor cut turf without any restraint. They have also the following yearly doles, viz., 24s. left by Thos. Blackerley, in 1687; about £10 from 5A. of land left by Robert Clough, in 1733; £8. 8s. from 9A. of fen, purchased with poor's money, in 1769; and £10, as interest of £200, left by the Rev. Wm. Adamson, in 1776, and vested with the Drainage Commissioners. These doles are distributed about Christmas.

	Bradley    Lawrence          druggist
	Butter     William           corn miller
	Field      Benjamin          blacksmith
	Greenfield John              stone merchant
	Hanson     Rev Wm., M.A.     Rectory
	Hall       Charles           grocer, &c.
	Harrod     George            corn miller
	Johnson    Elizabeth         shopkeeper
	Johnson    Wm.               auctioneer
	Lee        George            gentleman
	Newcome    Rev Wm, &
	             Edward C. Esq.  Hockwold Hall
	Pearson    George            (grocer, and agent to
	                               Phœnix Fire Office)
	Rolfe      Thomas Eldred     saddler
	Sparke     James             schoolmaster

	   PUBLIC-HOUSES.

	Johnson    William           Anchor
	Cock       Joseph            Ball
	West       Thomas            Black Horse
	Wolsey     John              Bridge Inn
	Fuller     Charles           Ferry Boat
	Cooper     James             Red Lion

	   Beer Houses.

	Cock       Gimmer
	Jarvis     William
	West       John

	   FARMERS.

	Jacob      George
	Jacob      William
	Palmer     Robert
	Palmer     Thomas
	Pearson    John
	Thompson   Robt.
	Thompson   Wm.

	   Wheelwrights.

	Cock       Field
	Johnson    Mathias
	Rolfe      Wm.
POST from Brandon daily.
See also the Hockwold cum Wilton parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
October 2009