HOCKHAM, a pleasant village, 6 miles N.W. by N. of East Harling, is in Wayland union, Attleborough county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Shropham hundred, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Harling polling district of South Norfolk, Rockland rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 504 inhabitants in 1881, living on 3406 acres, and has a rateable value of £3685. Most of the parish belongs to Henry Thomas Partridge, Esq., J.P., and Henry Hemsworth, Esq., the former of whom is lord of the manor, impropriator of the great tithes and owner of, and resides at the Hall, a square red brick mansion surrounded by an extensive park.
Here were formerly two distinct parishes, called Great and Little Hockham; but the church (St. Mary) of the latter was demolished after the reign of Richard II., and no traces of it are now exant. Henry III. granted to Great Hockham a charter for a market every Friday, and a fair on Easter Monday; but the former has long been obsolete, though the village green is still called Market Hill, and the latter is merely a pleasure mart.
The CHURCH (Holy Trinity) is beautifully situated in the park, and is an interesting specimen of the Early Decorated style, having a nave, aisles, and chancel, but no tower. The discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £8 17s. 11d., is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. John Spurgin, B.D., J.P., who has a good residence and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £276.
The School was built in 1832 by H.S. Partridge, Esq., who also endowed it with £100 three per cent. consols. A SCHOOL BOARD was formed in 1872, to which Breccles is contributory. Mr. H.F. Grigson, Watton, is clerk. The school was handed over to the board, and a new class-room has recently been added, giving accommodation for 100 children. The election for a new Board is now pending.
Here is an occasional Court-House.
Joseph Ashton, commonly called Tinker Joe, died in this parish in 1881, aged 112 years.
The Primitive Methodists have a chapel in the parish.
The common, and Cranberry fen, which had a lake or mere of 280A., were enclosed and drained in 1795, when a Fuel Allotment of 40A. was awarded for the use of all the parishioners not occupying more than £5 a year. The proceeds are given in coal to the poor. The Town Land consists of 16A. 22P. received in exchange at the enclosure, and now let for £30 a year, which is applied partly to the repairs of the church, and partly to the repairs of highways. Here are also several benefit societies.
POST from Thetford.
Adams Robert grocer and draper Bambridge George carpenter Becks Miss Dinah E. schoolmistress Bird Henry threshing machine propr Boyce Mr. Robert Boyce Robert, jun. painter, plumber and glazier Cobon Chas. farmer, Little Hockham Cocking Thomas shoemaker Coldham Alfd. master at Board school Durrant Henry Salisbury farmer, West farm [see note below] Edwards Jeremiah vict. Red Lion, farmer, wheelright, smith, furniture remover Lemmon Leonard Tillott vict. Eagle inn, engineer, brassfounder, smith, wheelright & school attndnce officr Lincoln Henry farmer Nurse Philip farmer Osborne John bootmaker Partridge Hy. Thos. Esq. J.P. The Hall Prewer Walter farmer Riches Fredk. tailor and stationer Riches Leonard vict. Crown, butcher, farmer and landowner Saunders James parish clerk Spurgin Rev. John, B.D., J.P. vicar and surrogate Uttridge James shoemaker Warren John Joseph baker, grocer, and post office Wilson John draper, grocer & wine merchant Wright Mrs Sophia victualler, Unicorn, and butcherWretham Railway Station; Thomas Bedford, collector
Copyright © Pat Newby.