HOCKERING village stands on a declivity of the Norwich road, near the Blackwater rivulet, 5 miles E. of East Dereham, and includes within its parish 457 inhabitants, 1,934 acres of land, mostly the property of Thomas Trench Berney, Esq., lord of the manor. Mrs. A. Howard and Mrs. Martineau have estates here.
The Church (St. Michael,) is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7. 3s. 4d., and consolidated with that of Mattishall Burgh. The joint benefices were valued in 1831, at £600 per annum, and are in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Thos. Berney, M.A., who has here about 50 acres of glebe.
The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here.
Hockering was the chief manor in the Barony of Rye, and was formerly held by the Mareschals, Roscelines, and Parkers.
The Poor's and Town's Lands have been vested in foeffees from an early period, and were encreased by allotments at the enclosure, in 1826. The property now consists of the Cock Inn, let for about £12; four cottages and gardens, let for about £10; 2A. 3R. of land, let for £2. 2s. a year; a garden, of 14 perches, used by the schoolmistress, and 4A. 1R. 21P., let for £13 a year. Out of these rents about £15 is expended yearly in supplying the poor with coals, and the rest is applied with the church rates. The poor have also the yearly doles of 9s. from Mowting's charity, and 20s. left by Ann Repps, in 1663, out of 3A., called Warner's Yard.
Barnard Jas. saddler, &c. Bayes Jas. shoemaker Berney Rev. Thos. M.A. Rectory Boyce John gent. Lodge Howard Mrs. Ann Huggins Wm. blacksmith Isbill Chas. butcher and beer-house Kitteringham Downing wheelwgt. Lovett Jas. corn miller Masters Geo. vict. Cock Nelson John grocer, &c. Nelson Leonard carpenter Parker Granville farm bailiff Ramm Rt. wheelwt. and par. clerk Taylor Hy. tailor Webster John shoemaker FARMERS. Hook John Leveridge Wm. Leveridge Moses Mack Aemilius (and butcher) Matthews Wm. Nelson James Payne James Pilch William
Copyright © Pat Newby.