Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Hindringham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Juanita Hadwin]

HINDRINGHAM, a parish, 3 miles E. of Walsingham, is a polling place for Hindringham polling district of North Norfolk, and is in Walsingham union, Fakenham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy court district, North Greenhoe petty sessional division and hundred, Walsingham rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 588 inhabitants in 1881, living on 3313 acres of land, and has a rateable value of £5577. The principal owners are William G. Waters, R. England, and E.B. Sparke, Esqrs., the lords of the manor, (the Dean and Chapter of Norwich), and E.P. Middleton, Esq. Hindringham Hall, an ancient moated mansion, now occupied by labourers, and held on lease, also belongs to Mr. E.P. Middleton.

The CHURCH (St. Martin) comprises nave with aisles and clerestory, south porch, chancel, and lofty square tower with five bells. There is also a small chapel on the north side of the chancel, containing a piscina. The windows are mostly of the Perpendicular period; but the east window is a Decorated one of five lights, and has recently been filled with rich stained glass. At the east end of the south aisle are a piscina and a hagioscope. The font is octagonal and bears the evangelistic symbols and the royal arms. The church has been re-seated throughout.

The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £9, was augmented in 1762 with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and £200 given by the Dean and Chapter, owners of the advowson and impropriators of the tithes. These sums were expended in the purchase of 18 acres of land at Walpole St. Peter, besides which the vicar has 2 acres of glebe, and the tithes of 40 acres. The tithes were commuted in 1844, the vicarial for £322, and the rectorial for £800 5s. The Rev. Edward Thomas Platten is the incumbent, and has a spacious residence, built in 1845.

The NATIONAL SCHOOL was built in 1845, and is attended by about 70 children. The Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans have each a small chapel in the parish.

In 1678, Christopher Ringer left 3A. 29P. of land, now let for £7 10s. which is distributed in duffel. For distributions of bread among the poor, Gregory Smith gave 20A. 2R. 26P. of land at Great Snoring, which were exchanged in 1860 for a house and 20 acres of land, now let for £46 a year. The Fuel Allotment, 24A. 2R. 15P., awarded at the enclosure in 1815, is let for £16, which is distributed in coals. The poor parishioners have also the following yearly rent-charges: viz. 13s. 4d. left by Thomas May, and 12s. by Samuel May, in 1681. The Bell Rope Land, 4A. 6P., is let for £7, which is carried to the churchwardens' account.

POST OFFICE at Samuel Southgate's. Letters arrive at 8.15 a.m., and despatched at 4.15 p.m., and on Sundays arrive at 8.15 a.m., and despatched at 10 a.m. viâ East Dereham. Walsingham is the nearest Money Order Office.

	ABBS       Robert          vict. Folgate Inn
	ADCOCK     Brook           farmer; h Great Walsingham
	BALLS      Edward James    miller, baker & shopkeeper
	BEAN       Abel Benj.      farmer
	BELL       Thomas          grocer and draper
	BOWMAN     Thomas          blacksmith
	CLARK      Matthew         bootmaker
	CURLE      William         farmer
	CUSHING    Mr Stephen
	DAPLYN     Robert          farmer
	DAPLYN     Wright          butcher
	ENGLAND    Richard, Esq.,
	             J.P.          farmer & landowner; h Binham
	FRANCIS    John            wheelwright and vict. The Duke
	FRANKLING  Felix Samuel    miller and baker
	GOLDING    John            farmer
	GRAVER     George          bricklayer
	HAWES      Thos.           carpenter and beerhouse
	HAWES      William         vict. Crown
	JARVIS     Stephen         blacksmith
	LAKE       John            miller and baker
	LEE-WARNER Mrs Septimus    Godfrey's hall
	LOADS      John Thomas     vict. Red Lion
	LONG       James           farmer
	MAYERS     William         butcher
	MIDDLETON  Edmund Plane,
	             Esq., J.P.    Field house
	OVERMAN    Miss
	PLATTEN    Rev. Thos.
	             Edwd. M.A.    vicar
	PLAYLE     Arthur Howard   farmer
	RUSSELL    William         farmer
	SANDS      Robert John     miller
	SANDS      Saml.           farmr. tailor & parish clrk
	SANDS      William         farmer
	SCOTT      Wm. Geo.        bootmaker & shopkpr
	SOUTHGATE  Charles         farmer
	SOUTHGATE  Samuel          farmer, postmaster and shopkeeper
	THOMPSON   Robert          farmer
	WATTS      Mrs             schoolmistress

From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:

"A north aisle and a chapel are about to be added to the church."


See also the Hindringham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
February 2002