Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Hindringham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

HINDRINGHAM, a parish and large scattered village, 3 miles E. of Walsingham, has 721 inhabitants, and 3,314 acres of land, belonging to a number of proprietors; among whom are Robert W. Orris, Esq., Sir Charles Chad, R. England, Esq., and the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. The latter are lords of the manor, appropriators of the great tithes, and owners of Hindringham Hall, a large moated mansion, now held on lease by Robert W. Orris, Esq. Godfrey's Hall, another ancient mansion, is the seat of George Waters, Esq.

The CHURCH (St. Martin,) has a lofty tower with five bells. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £9, and in 1831, at £138, was augmented in 1762, with £200 of Queen Anne's bounty, and £200 given by the Dean and Chapter, (the patrons) and laid out in 24A. of land at Walpole St. Peter, in addition to which, the vicar has 2A. of glebe, and the tithes of 40 acres. The Rev. Edward James, M.A., of Holt, is the incumbent, and John Orris, Esq., of London, is lessee of the rectorial tithes.

In 1678, Christopher Ringer left 3A. 29P. of land, now let for £7 7s., which is distributed in blanket cloth. For distributions of bread among the poor, Gregory Smith gave 20A. 2R. 26P. of land at Great Snoring, now let for £23 per annum. The Fuel Allotment, 24A. 2R. 15P., awarded at the enclosure in 1815, is let for about £30, which is distributed in coals. The poor parishioners have also the following yearly rent charges, viz., 13s. 4d. left by Thomas May, and 12s. by Samuel May, 1681. The Bell Rope Land, 4A. 6P. is let for £10 10s., which is carried to the churchwardens' account.

	Chastney  Richard           beer seller
	Chastney  Thomas            bricklayer
	Clark     John              miller and baker
	Daplyn    Robert            vict., Duke's Head
	Fowle     John              victualler, Red Lion
	Francis   William           wheelwright and parish clerk
	Looes     William           brewer and beer seller
	Orris     Robert, W., Esq.  Hall
	Sands     Mr. Hercules             [see note below]
	Sands     Wm.               tailor [see note below]
	Scott     William           shoemaker
	Stribling Thomas            shoemaker and victualler, Falgate
	Wall      Robert            miller
	Waters    George, Esq.      Godfrey's Hall
	Youngs    Francis           shoemaker

	   Blacksmiths.                Grocers, &c.

	Arnold    Lake              Daplyn    Thomas, (and miller)
	Bell      William           Dent      Elizabeth
	Boswell   William           Mackley   Susan
	                            Oughton   Robert, (& shoemaker)

	                     FARMERS.

	Adcock    James             Lake      John
	Baker     George            Lee       George
	Bowman    Nicholas          Long      James
	Buck      James             Mason     William
	Curtis    M.R.W.            Osbiston  Samuel
	Cooke     Jas.,             Southgate Benj.
	            Field-house     Wilson   Anthony
	Daplyn    Mary              Winn      Timothy
	Flood     William           Wrench    Peter
	Griffin   Robert J.

Note: in the original this is
     Sands Mr. Hercules || Wm., tailor
and William Francis is described as a wheelgright.


See also the Hindringham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
December 2015