[Transcription copyright © Juanita Hadwin]
HINDOLVESTON, vulgarly called Hilderston, is a parish and large village, 8 miles E. of Fakenham, and 7 miles N.W. of Reepham, in Aylsham union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Eynsford hundred and petty sessional division, Reepham polling district of North Norfolk, and Sparham rural deanery and Norwich archdeaconry. It has a rateable value of £3815, and had 651 inhabitants in 1881 living on 2490 acres. Lord Hastings is chief owner of the soil and lord of the manor in which the fines are certain.
The CHURCH (St. George), has nave, chancel, north aisle, and square tower with one bell, and has accommodation for 350 persons. In the church is a good brass to the Hunt family. Lord Hastings is impropriator of the great tithes. The Dean and Chapter of Norwich are patrons of the vicarage, which was valued in the King's Book at £6 1s., and augmented in 1810, with £1200 in parliamentary grants, laid out in the purchase of 28 acres of land at Saxlingham; besides which, here are 16 acres of glebe. The Rev. Arthur Gifford Durnford, M.A., who has a good residence, is the incumbent. The great tithes have been commuted for £434 per annum, but the vicar has only a yearly modus of £50.
The Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here.
A SCHOOL BOARD was established here in 1874, and now consists of Rev. A.G. Durnford (chairman), Rev. E. Jones, and Messrs. J.W. Butler, E.W. Beck, and C. Martin. Mr. S. Aberdein is the clerk.
The Poor's Allotments, awarded at the enclosure in 1812, comprise 24A. 3R. 31P.: and the Workhouse Land, enclosed from the waste, under Gilbert's Act, comprises 12A. 1R. 35P. These lands are let for about £41 a year, which is mostly applied with the poor rates. The sum of £35, left by John and Beatrice Bulleye, in 1586 and 1621, for the church and poor, was laid out in the purchase of 4 acres of land, now let for £9, of which £2 10s. are distributed among the poor, and the residue is applied in the service of the church. The poor have also a yearly rent-charge of £2 13s. 4d., left by Sir Thomas Hunt, in 1615, out of land in Kent Street, London. At the Chequers Inn is a lodge of Oddfellows, to which a widows' and orphans' fund is attached.
POST OFFICE at Mrs. M.A. Taylor's. Letters arrive at 7.15 a.m., and are despatched at 5 p.m., and on Sundays at 10 a.m., via East Dereham. Foulsham is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
ABERDEIN Saml. grocer, draper, glass & china dealer, farmer, assistant overseer, and insurance agent, and coal, salt, and manure merchant BAMBRIDGE Thomas farm bailiff BARSTARD Benjamin farmer BARSTARD Robert farmer BARSTARD Walter farmer BARSTARD Wm. painter, plumber, & glazir. BECKHAM Cyrus vict. Maid's Head BLOMFIELD Thomas farmer BUTLER John Wm. farmer; h Barney CHAPMAN Mrs Sarah COLEMAN James victualler, Chequers CRASKE Saml. farmer, valuer, and estate agent, Beck farm DACK Robert blacksmith DOBSON Henry farm DOBSON William farmer DURNFORD Rev. Ar. Gifford, M.A. vicar FRARY Fen bootmaker FULCHER Mrs Elizabeth beerhouse HARPER James bootmaker HOLSEY Charles farmer HOLSEY John victualler, Red Lion HOLSEY John, jun. carrier JONES Rev. Evan curate LOCKETT William wheelwright MARTIN Charles farmer PAGE John grocer and draper PEGG Geo. grocr. drpr. & earthenware dlr PEGG John miller and baker PERRY Mrs Charlotte baker PRATT William farmer SAMPSON Henry & Mrs. Board school master and mistress STONEX William grocer and draper STRINGER Robert blacksmith and shopkeeper TAYLOR Mrs Mary Ann postmistress TIPPLE George farmer WILEY Edward bricklayer
CARRIER - J. Hosley, to Norwich, Sat.
[sic, should be Holsey]
See also the Hindolveston parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.