Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Hindolveston

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright Jayne Cole]

HINDOLVESTON, vulgarly called Hilderston, is a large village, 8 miles E. of Fakenham, and 7 miles N.W. of Reepham; and has in its parish 839 souls, and 2487A. of land, belonging to various owners.

Lord Hastings holds the manor (fine certain,) and the rectorial tithes on lease from the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who are also patrons of the Church (St. George,) which is a vicarage, valued in the King's Book at 6.1s., and in 1831 at 76; and augmented in 1810, with 1200, in parliamentary grants, laid out in the purchase of 28A. of land at Saxlingham; besides which, here are 8 acres of glebe. The great tithes have been commuted for 434 per annum, but the vicar (Rev. J. Lloyd,) has only a yearly modus of 50. In the parish are 170 acres of wood belonging to the Dean and Chapter.

The Independents and the Wesleyans have each a chapel here.

The Poor's Allotments, awarded at the enclosure in 1812, comprise 24A.3R.31P.; and the Workhouse Land, enclosed from the waste, under Gilbert's Act, comprises 12A.1R.35P. These lands are let for about 41 a year, which is applied with the poor rates. The sum of 35, left by John and Beatrice Bulleye, in 1586 and 1621, for the church and poor, was laid out in the purchase of 4A. of land, now let for 9, of which 2.10s is distributed among the poor, and the residue is applied in the service of the church. The poor have also a yearly rent-charge of 2.13s.4d., left by Sir Thomas Hunt, in 1615, out of land in Kent street, London, now belonging to the Pickard family.

	Akers      Robert Henry   academy
	Austin     Mr John
	Bacon      Thomas         swine dlr. & shopr
	Bambridge  Edmund         bricklayer
	Barnsdale  Wm.            shoemaker and vict. Maid's Head
	Barstard   Rd.            plumber, painter, &c
	Blomfield  Thos.          butcher (and Holt)
	Bird       Charles        police officer
	Fulcher    Thomas         vict. Chequers
	Guyton     Hannah         beerhouse keeper
	Harmer     James          boot & shoe maker
	Isaac      Clare          farrier and smith
	Jary       Mr James
	             and Mrs Mary
	Lloyd      Rev John       Vicarage
	Martin     Wm.            butcher
	Newman     Thomas         grocer & draper
	Nurse      James          grocer and draper
	Pank       Samuel         bricklayer
	Pegg       John           miller and baker
	Porter     Alfred         baker
	Randall    Lawrence       joiner, wheelwright and blacksmith
	Shirley    Francis        glover
	Southgate  John           gentleman
	Storey     Thos.          baker & vict. Red Lion
	Taylor     John           carpenter
	Waller     Elizabeth      shopkeeper
	Watts      Mrs Mary       [See note below]
	Wells      Mrs Ann        [See note below]
	Whitaker   Mr Jeremiah
	Wilkin     James          carpenter

	   FARMERS.

	Barstard   Benj.               Olley      Richard
	Brooke     William             Pegg       John
	Butters    John                Raven      Ann
	Dobson     Henry               Reynolds   Joseph
	Farrow     Robert              Rump       John
	Gibbs      William             Thaxter    Charles
	Lewis      Richard,            Thaxter    Samuel
	             (and cattle dlr)  Thaxter    Eliza
	Martin     James               Whitaker   Jerh.
	Moore      John Bell           Wilkin     John

	   Tailors.

	Dent       William
	Pegg       Matthew
	Smith      John
CARRIERS to Norwich, Jonas Raven, Tue. and Fri., and Edw. Boulter, Sat.
Note: In the original, this is:
"Watts Mrs Mary, & Wells Mrs Ann"
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

See also the Hindolveston parish page.

Copyright Pat Newby.
September 1999