[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HINDOLVERSTONE, commonly called Hilderston, is a parish and village, with a station on the Midland and Great Northern joint railway, about 8 miles east from Fakenham, 8 south from Holt and 125 from London, in the Northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred and petty sessional division, Aylsham rural district, Holt county court district, rural deanery of Sparham and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich.
The church of St. George is a large and ancient building of flint in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, with vestry on the south side, nave, north aisle and a western tower containing one bell, but is now ruinous, the tower having collapsed on the afternoon of Sunday, 31 July, 1892, and destroyed the greater part of the fabric.
Divine service was, until 1932, held in a wooden structure, but in that year a new church was erected: material from the original structure was extensively used in the building: a 17th century altar and a font of early date were installed: the church was consecrated in 1932: there is a brass with effigies to Edmund Hunt, ob. 1558, his wife, Margaret, ob. 1568, and their ten sons and four daughters, which was formerly in the parish church: there are 176 sittings. The register dates from the year 1734.
The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300, with 13½ acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, and held since 1933 by the Rev. Adalbert George Astley Rainier.
The old National school is now used as a Church mission room. There is a Methodist chapel, built in 1838.
At the corner of the Melton road is a cross of Portland stone, erected in 1921, in memory of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. The charities for distribution amount to about £50 gross yearly, but there are various charges on this sum. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. The vicar is owner of the tithes. Lord Hastings is chief landowner. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and marl. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and some land in pasture. The area is 2,540 acres; the population in 1921 was 571.
Post Office. Letters through Guist. The nearest Money Order office is at Swanton Novers & Telegraph office at Foulsham
Railway Station (M. & G.N. joint)
County Police Station
Juby Henry Newman Seaton house Purchas Mrs Rainier Rev. Adalbert Geo. Astley (vicar), Vicarage Sands Mrs. Seaton house Thorpe Mrs. DenverCOMMERCIAL. Marked thus o farm 150 acres or over.
Aberdein Alexander Thomas grocer Beane Charles Dennis collector of taxes, clerk to Parish Council, clerk to the Charity Trustees & local registration officer, The Retreat Beckett Jn. carpntr Brownsell Charles farmer, Nethergate Codling Fras. Perry blacksmith Codling Maud (Mrs.) grocer, draper, hardware dealer & general store Codling Susanna (Mrs.) shopkpr Davison H.T. & Son bakers & confectioners; newsagents, stationers, toy & fancy dealers, Post office Fisher Geo. farmer, Redhouse farm Fisher William Red Lion P.H. Gladden Harold boot repr Gray Geo. farmer, West farm Gronow Catherine Mary (Mrs.) district nurse Hatten Chas. farm bailiff to R.J. Seaman & Sons, Park farm Holsey Arthur William motor omnibus proprietor & haulage contractor, farmer, &c Holsey Jonathan Maid's Head P.H. Kirk Geo. grocer, West End Stores o Martin Jas. farmer Olley George farmer (postal address, Briston, Melton Constable) Parker Maurice J. & Son motor engineers & haulage contractors, bus proprietors, agricultural machine owners & agents; cycles, accessories, tyres &c Peart Bros farmers Pratt Arthur farmer Seaman R.J. & Sons farmers, Park farm Strike Arthur Chequers P.H. Tuck Jn. T. coal mer Wakefield Jn. fish hawker Wakefield Leslie fried fish dlr Wakefield Leslie William agent for Hercules, Raleigh & leading makes of cycles & accessories; gramophone & wireless dealer, repairs, &c Wiley Ernest bricklayer for Lord Hastings Williams Wm. butcher o Wright Ernest farmer, Beck farmOddfellows (M.U.I.O. of) (Loyal Hastings Lodge, No. 4,374; meet at the Chequers inn) (Charles D. Beane, sec.), The Retreat
See also the Hindolveston parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.