[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
G.- Sir John Wray, Lord of the Manor, and other proprietors and owners of land in this parish, allotted at the time of an inclosure, in 1656, by deed, which was confirmed by a Decree in Chancery in 1692, a quantity of Land, the rent whereof to be applied for the relief of the Poor, and to ease the rates and taxes of the parishioners, vested in the Churchwardens and Overseers for the time being; its produce £30 4s. per annum. Of this land £13 2s. is appropriated to the education of 10 poor children in reading, writing, and arithmetic.
T. 1794 states this land to be 166 Acres, producing £64 a year, but the rent of one piece thereof, containing 3A. is not included. It mentions also an old Tenement belonging to the parish near the bridge, but this is now dilapidated.
The Rev. Wm. [sic] Spencer, in 1701, bequeathed £1 10s. to be paid annually out of an Estate left for the repairs of the church bells, among 15 poor people, chosen by the Rector and Churchwardens, half on the 23d of May, and the remainder on the 23d of October, for ever.
T.- By a Terrier of 1716, it appears there are 6 Pieces of Land, containing together 45A. the rents whereof are yearly received by the Churchwardens, and expended about the repairs and ornaments of the church, and other charges belonging to their office. This Terrier also mentions the sum of £12 in the hands of the Overseers, as a parish stock.
See also the Hilgay parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.