HILBOROUGH, or Hilburgh, is a scattered village, with a handsome hall, a good posting inn, and a large water mill, on the London road, 6 miles S. of Swaffham. It is in Swaffham union, South Greenhoe hundred and petty sessional division, Swaffham county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, Swaffham polling district of West Norfolk, North division of Cranwich rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
Its parish had 337 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 3101 acres of land, all belonging to Joseph Trueman Mills, Esq., J.P. The rateable value is £2601. The Hall, a square brick mansion in a well-wooded park, on the western bank of a rivulet, was erected in 1779.
The CHURCH, dedicated to All Saints, is a neat edifice, comprising nave, aisles, south porch, chancel, vestry, and fine square tower with five bells. Over the western doorway is a curious carving, representing two figures, one in armour and the other holding a ragged staff in one hand, and a man's head in the other. The building has been recently restored and fitted with new pulpit, reading-desk, lectern, reredos, &c., of carved oak. The chancel contains a double piscina, and ancient sedilia, and several tablets of the Caldwell family.
The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £13 6s. 8d., is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. John Burrough, M.A., who has 60 acres of glebe, a good residence, built in 1840, and a yearly rent-charge of £460, awarded in 1845 in lieu of tithes. In 1804 the living was augmented with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and £200 given by the Rev. John Nelson, a late incumbent, and brother to the hero of the Nile.
On the north-west side of the village, in a grass close, are the remains of St. Margaret's Chapel, where pilgrims used to halt, on their way to Walsingham Abbey. It was a free chapel, endowed with 100 acres of land, at an early period, and was dissolved by Edward VI.
The church has £2, and the poor [£]1 17s. 6d. yearly, from land given by unknown donors. At the enclosure, in 1769, two allotments were awarded to the poor, viz., 30 acres to cut furze upon, and 6 acres for pasturage.
The NATIONAL SCHOOL is supported by Joseph Trueman Mills, Esq., J.P., and attended by 70 children.
POST OFFICE (Railway sub-office), Isaac Moore, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive at 4.30 a.m., despatched at 9.10 p.m. Mundford is the nearest Money Order Office.
Buckle James farm bailiff to J.T. Mills, Hern farm Burrough Rev. John, M.A. rector Burton Abraham frmr. Westgate farm Chapman Mr Eli The Mill Chapman Samuel blacksmith Collins - vict. Swan, and farmer Dorling Walter farm bailiff to J.T. Mills Eagle Mrs Frances shopkeeper Eldred William parish clerk Fuller Joseph estate carpenter to J.T. Mills Garrod - shopkeeper Garrod Henry & John farmers and thrashing machine owners Goddard William farm bailiff to J.T. Mills Moore Isaac sub-postmaster Norgate Major-General The Hall Stocking William baker Stocking William, jun. wheelwright Tuck William head gamekeeper to J.T. Mills Watley Wm. farm bailiff to J.T. Mills
Copyright © Pat Newby.