Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Heydon

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]

HEYDON, a pleasant village and parish, 5 miles W.N.W. of Aylsham, and 14 miles N.W. by N. of Norwich, has 321 souls, and 1911 acres of land, belonging to Wm. Earle Lytton Bulwer, Esq., of HEYDON HALL, a handsome Elizabethan mansion of brick, erected in 1581, by Henry Dynne, Esq.; but the house and lawn have since been considerably improved. Mr. Bulwer is the elder brother of Sir E.G.E. Bulwer Lytton, Bart., the author of several highly popular novels; and is lord of the manors of Heydon-with-members, Stinton Hall, Sallkirk Hall, Oulton, Thurning, Guestwick, Wood Dalling, &c., for which John Richardson, Esq., one of the first proposers of the new poor law, is steward.

The Church (St. Peter and St. Paul,) is a large and handsome Gothic fabric, with a lofty tower, in which is an excellent peal of six bells, hung a few years ago. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9. 16s. 10½d., has 24A. 3R. 20P. of glebe, and is consolidated with that of Ermingland (sic), in the patronage of W.E.L. Bulwer, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Evan Nepean, M.A., of Grosvenor chapel, London. The joint rectories were valued in 1831, at £290, but the tithes of Heydon were commuted in 1841 for £307, and those of Irmingland for £170.

Erasmus Earle, who purchased the manors of Heydon, Sall and Cawston, and died in 1667, was one of the most able lawyers of his time, and held many important offices. Tyrus, or Turold de Dalling, who was enfeoffed at the Norman Conquest, in the manors of Wood-Dalling and Binham, was founder of the Bulwer family. The father of the present Mr. Bulwer, was a brigadier-general, and espoused the sole heiress of A.W. Lytton, Esq., of Knebworth Park, Hertfordshire.

About 4A. of land, left to the poor by Lady Ann Townshend, in 1620, has long been lost in the Heydon estate, which is charged with the yearly payment of 20s. for the poor, and 10s. for a sermon, left by Frances Kemp, in 1632.

	Bulwer     Wm. Earle
	             Lytton,Esq.  Heydon Hall

	Barnes     Samuel         wheelwright
	Beauchamp  Rev Rt. Wm.    curate
	Bobby      John Wragg     grocer & draper
	Bramble    John           wheelwright
	Burn       Hy.            gamekpr
	Cotterill  John           blacksmith
	Edwards    James          shoemaker
	Gallant    George         gardener
	Leeds      Stephen        saddler and vict. Earle's Arms
	Ottway     John           blacksmith
	Richardson John, Esq.     land agent
	Webster    Henry          baker & flour dealer
	Winter     Saml.          gamekpr

	   FARMERS.

	Coltman    Geo.
	Gardiner   Thomas
	Ireland    Benjamin       (and lime burner)
	Kemp       Able
	Kiddell    James
	Kiddell    Wm.
	Owen       James
	Warren     William

See also the Heydon parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
June 1999