HEVINGHAM is a considerable village and parish, 3 miles S. of Aylsham, and 9 miles N. by W. of Norwich, in Aylsham union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, South Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, Aylsham polling district of North Norfolk, Ingworth rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It has a rateable value of £3452, and had 764 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2855 acres.
Most of the soil belongs to the Rev. Henry Philip Marsham, B.C.L., J.P., who is lord of the manor of Hevingham-Catts-cum-Cricketots, and resides at Rippon Hall, a handsome red brick mansion, which was rebuilt in 1843 in the Elizabethan style, and has a delightful lawn and pleasure grounds. Wm. Foster, Esq., of Aylsham, is lord of the manor of Hevingham-with-the-members-of-Marsham. J. Mossup and C.L. Buxton, Esqs., have also estates here.
Walter de Suffield, Bishop of Norwich, formed a park, and built a palace or country seat here in 1250, and had license for free-warren in all his demesnes. The moat which surrounded the house still remains, and the park now consists of about 200 acres of wood, containing some fine old timber. This estate remained in the hands of the bishops till Bishop Nix exchanged the revenues of the See in 1531, when it came to the crown, and was granted by Henry VIII. to Sir James Boleyn, from whom it passed to the Hobarts, who sold it to the Marshams in 1659. It is subject to a modus of £1 per annum.
Buxton Heath, about a mile east of the village, is mostly in this parish, and many of the poor are engaged in making brooms. There were about 200 looms some years ago, but there are now very few.
The CHURCH (St. Botolph) was originally cruciform, but the north transept no longer exists. It has nave, chancel, tower with five bells, south transept, and handsome porch, and appears to have been at one period a very fine edifice of the 13th century architecture. The chancel is separately dedicated to St. Mary. Here are inscriptions to the families of Hobart, Thetford, Deynes, Leigh, Scambler, &c. The church possesses a curious hexagonal font, with mutilated figures under florid Gothic arches, which was completely restored in 1881. There are 250 sittings. The church was restored in 1881 at a cost of £800.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10 16s. has 33 acres of glebe and a residence, and the tithes were commuted in 1841 for £550 per annum. Sir Thomas Beevor, Bart., is the patron, and the Rev. Wm. Bowles, M.A., the incumbent.
The Wesleyans and the Primitive Methodists have chapels here.
A SCHOOL BOARD was established here in 1872, and a good school was erected in the same year. The present Board consists of C.L. Buxton, Esq. (chairman), The Revs. H.P. Marsham and H. Dallimore, and Messrs. J. Bush and H. Benton. J. Gidney, Esq. (of Aylsham), is the clerk. John Hall, in 1715, left 5A. 0R. 18P. of land (now worth about £11 a year) and the interest of £50, now invested in £73 15s. 4d. three per cent. Consols for the education of ten poor children.
The Poor's Land, purchased with £100 left by Thomas Bulwer, in 1693, was sold some years ago for £800, now vested in Consols, the interest (£24 14s. 10d.) being given to the poor. In 1806, some timber was cut on this land, and the produce was laid out in the purchase of £54 14s. 3d. three per cent. Consols. The Poor's Allotment, 148 acres, awarded at the enclosure, in 1801, is used for the purpose of cutting fuel. The poor have an annuity of 10s. 6d., left by an unknown donor.
POST, MONEY ORDER and TELEGRAPH OFFICE at Mr. M. Wade's. Letters arrive at 5 a.m. and despatched at 5.50 p.m., viâ Norwich.
Batterby Robert farm bailiff Benton Henry farmer Benton Matthew farmer Benton Robert farmer Bowles Rev. William, M.A. rector Bowman Benj. Robert farmer Brown Miss Fanny Board schlmstrss Bunn - farmer; h Drayton Burton Jeremiah farmer Burton John beerhouse and farmer Bush Samuel shopkeeper Case Thomas Henry farmer Crane William blacksmith Fields James shopkeeper Gibson Walter farmer Haylett John farmer; h Hainford Harvey George farm bailiff Hill Mrs Ann shopkeeper Howard - vict. Marsham's Arms, and farmer Hubbard John farmer Kemp John gamekeeper Kidd Horace wheelwright Marsham Rev. Henry Philip, B.C.L., J.P. Rippon hall Matthewson Elliott butcher Matthewson James farmer Matthewson William farmer Mayo William bootmaker Medler Thomas vict. Pheasant Mitchell Charles wheelwright Morley Robert farmer Nobbs James blacksmith & thrashing machine owner Norton Esias shopkeeper Oliver John beerhouse Palmer Wm. Francis builder, shopkeeper and victualler, Sir John Barleycorn Parker Benjamin Board schoolmaster Phillipo Robert farmer Pratt James farmer Savage Tortoise bootmaker Sparks James blacksmith Thrower Jacob vict. Fox Wade Michael postmaster Westney Stephen farmer Willimott Charles grocer and draper Willimott John parish clerk Willimott William baker
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
If you use this information in your research, please say that it is from Genuki Norfolk.
Copyright © Pat Newby.