Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Hevingham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]

HEVINGHAM is a considerable village and parish, three miles S. of Aylsham, and nine miles N. by W. of Norwich, having 893 inhabitants, and 2855 acres of land, belonging mostly to Robert Marsham, and Wm. Repton, Esqrs., the former of whom is lord of the manor of Hevingham and Cats-cum-Cricketots, and the latter is lord of Hevingham-with-the-members-of-Marsham, which was anciently held by the Bishops of Norwich; one of whom, Walter de Suffield, built a palace or country seat here, in 1250, and had license for free-warren in all his demesnes.

The Church (St. Botolph,) has a nave, chancel, tower, south transept, and a handsome porch. It has inscriptions to the families of Hobart, Thetford, Deynes, Leigh, Scambler, &c., and a curious sexagon font, with mutilated figures under florid Gothic arches.

The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10. 16s., has 39 acres of glebe, and a neat residence; and the tithes were commuted in 1841, for £550 per annum. The Rev. W.J. Carver is patron, and the Rev. E.R. Beevor incumbent.

The Wesleyans have a small chapel, erected in 1832.

The Free School, for ten poor children, with the master's house, was built by John Hall, who endowed it in 1726, with 5A. 3R. 2P. of land, (now worth about £8 a year), and the interest of £50, now vested in £73. 15s. 4d. three per cent. Consols.

The Poor's Land, purchased with £100 left by Thos. Bulwer, in 1693, comprises seven acres in Aylsham, let for £8 a year. In 1806, some timber was cut on this land, and the produce was laid out in the purchase of £54. 14s. 3d. three per cent. Consols. The Poor's Allotment, 159A. 18P., awarded at the enclosure, in 1801, is used for the purpose of cutting fuel thereon. The poor have an annuity of 10s. 6d., left by an unknown donor, and they have a double cottage, left by Jas. Scambler, but it was sold by the overseers for £50, in 1803.

	Abbs      Wm.            baker and shopkeeper
	Beevor    Rev Edw. Rigby Rectory
	Crane     Wm.            blacksmith
	Fox       Jerh.          blksmith
	Fox       John           wheelgt.
	Fox       Wm.            pork butcher
	Hardiman  Robert         butcher
	Hill      John           shopkeeper
	Knights   Jonathan       corn miller
	Marsham   Chas. W. Esq.  Ripon Hall
	Mitchell  E.             wheelwright
	Pye       Jeremiah       vict. Fox
	Smith     Sarah          vict. Marsham Arms
	Sparkes   James          blacksmith
	Willimott Wm.            beerhouse
	Woolsey   Henry          schoolmaster


	Dack      John
	Gray      Dennis
	Newton    Edwd.          Post office


	Bond      Benjamin
	Bowman    Benj.
	Bowman    Robert
	Brooks    Benjamin
	Burton    Benjamin
	Case      Hy. Thos.
	Case      Wm.
	Cubitt    John
	Fish      Jeremiah
	Green     John
	Ives      Thomas
	Medler    Charles
	Pratt     Wm.
	Sutton    Richard
POST-OFFICE at E. Newton's, Mail to Cromer, 8½ mng., & to Norwich, 5 evening.
See also the Hevingham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
If you use this information in your research, please say that it is from Genuki Norfolk.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
June 1999