HETHERSETT, a large, well-built, and pleasant village, on the Wymondham road, 5 miles W.S.W. of Norwich, has in its parish 1138 souls, and 2635 acres of fertile land, belonging to many proprietors, and lying in James Cuddon, Esq.'s manors of Hethersett-Woodhall, Hawkins, Cromwells, and Canteclose, the latter of which had anciently a church (All Saints,) and its site is still called the old churchyard. The common and the village green were enclosed in 1800, and the parishioners claimed and obtained part of Wymondham common, because they had buried a dead man found upon it, after the parish officers had refused to inter him.
R.H. Gurney, Esq., has an estate here, and a handsome seat called Thickthorn House, built in 1812, near the site of the old hall. In this parish is the decayed "Oak of Reformation," under which Kett and his rebel band, in 1549, took a solemn oath to reform the abuses in Church and State. (See page 62 [which is part of the History of Norwich].) Though hooped and screwed together, this venerable tree still vegetates. Petty Sessions are held at the Queen's Head, as noticed at page 692 [which is the entry for Humbleyard Hundred].
The Church (St. Remigius,) has a square tower, with a small wooden spire and five bells. On an altar tomb, in the south aisle, are effigies of a knight and lady. Here are also memorials of the Flowerdew, Bokenham, and other families. The rectory of Hethersett-with-Canteclose, valued in the King's Book at £8, and in 1831, at £670, is in the gift of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Jeremy Day, M.A.
The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here.
The National School, built in 1817, is attended by about 100 children, and is partly supported by subscription. The master receives £8. 3s. 4d. yearly from £272. 8s. 8d., three per cent. Consols, left by Wm. Hughes, for the education of six poor children.
In 1658, John Rope bequeathed property to provide clothing to the poor parishioners, now consisting of the Queen's Head public-house, a garden, and 3R. 35P. of land, let for £19 a year, out of which 23s. 5d. is paid for insurance and quit-rents, and the residue is distributed in coats. In 1710, Walsingham Bokenham left to the poor a house and 5A. 1R. 5P. of land, now let for £18, which is distributed in shirting, calico, and shoes. The poor have also divided among them yearly the dividends of £100 three per cents., left by John Corder, and of £133. 7s. 6d., new 3½ per cents., left by Henry Harman, in 1815.
Andrew Rev Wm. Waite Ayton Clorinda Post Office Ayton Samuel vict. Queen's Head Back Jas. Hatfield & Jno. Alfd., Esqs Bales Robert butcher [see note below] Bales Mr Thos. [see note below] Browne Mrs Ann, and Edwd., Esq. Clark Rowland baker Collins Miss Eliz. boarding school Colman John Rt. Claxton surgeon Curson Smith National School Cutmore Mary grocer and draper Day Rev Jeremy, M.A. Rectory Filby Miss Fish Edward saddler Fish John grocer and draper Fox James vict. Greyhound Gurney Rd. Hanbury, Esq. banker, Thickthorn House Harvey John blacksmith Herne Thomas blacksmith Langford Capt. G. Nash Mrs Ann Norgate Thomas Starling, Esq Purrett John corn miller Robinson George corn miller Scrivener Thos. vict. King's Head Sharman John tailor Sharman Elizabeth shopkeeper Spurgeon John brewer & maltster Trower George cooper Vaux Rev Bowyer curate Willament Warner vict. Victoria FARMERS. Bush Robert Norgate T.S. Hood Robert Sewell Samuel Howlett James Smith James Lake William Smith Jas. jun. Christmas Stannard Wm. Shoemakers. Wheelwrights. Cunningham Wm Barker Smith Curson Wm. par. clerk Ireland James Fish John Lofty Jeremiah, and smithCOACHES and CARRIERS from Norwich to Wymondham, Thetford, &c. pass through the village
Copyright © Pat Newby.